Shifts Past (below) 1st gear

When my banshee is in first gear I can still push the shifter past 1st gear. It doesn't stay down but it clearly clicks past 1st. Before I take off the clutch cover, what should I look for. Also once in awhile I have difficulty shifting down gears. Could it just be my shift shaft out of adjustment?

When my banshee is in first gear I can still push the shifter past 1st gear. It doesn't stay down but it clearly clicks past 1st. Before I take off the clutch cover, what should I look for. Also once in awhile I have difficulty shifting down gears. Could it just be my shift shaft out of adjustment?

Does it actually co into another gear? Or is it just the shifter goes down and comes back up? That is normal for a Banshee, think of the shift lever as a ratchet and the shift drum as what is turned by the ratchet. But the drum has a stop built in and won't let the lever get another bit when it is in first so the lever can go down and back up without actually shifting the drum/gears. Hope this explains it for you.

I found out what was going on. When in first and you push down on the shifter, the shift shaft is pulling away from the shift star and slipping past the pegs on it. I just moved my shift lever in so the shaft can't slide out past the pegs on the star. Everything seems to be fine now. It's almost like the stopper built into the clutch cover to stop the shift shaft is worn and letting the shaft move to much.

I found out what was going on. When in first and you push down on the shifter, the shift shaft is pulling away from the shift star and slipping past the pegs on it. I just moved my shift lever in so the shaft can't slide out past the pegs on the star. Everything seems to be fine now. It's almost like the stopper built into the clutch cover to stop the shift shaft is worn and letting the shaft move to much.

I'm guessing you have an older "Cascade" overide clutch cover. (I'm going off the picture of your bike.0 We had problems with two of them about 2 years ago. The casting didn't have enough material to properly align and support the shift shaft. So it would do what you are descibing...pull away from the bosses on the shift segment. We ended up putting a small welded bead on the inside of the cover, then clearancing it down to the proper thickness. Till we could do that, we ran a few spacer washers on the outside of the stator cover to space the shifter arm and hold it out away fron the motor to keep the shift shaft from pulling in towards the clutch side cover. It's only a temporary fix because the washers, shift arm, and side cover will wear and the spacing will open up again. Plus the friction added doesn't help the shift smoothness....but it go them through the weekend.

Hope that helps you. :)

I'm guessing you have an older "Cascade" overide clutch cover. (I'm going off the picture of your bike.0 We had problems with two of them about 2 years ago. The casting didn't have enough material to properly align and support the shift shaft. So it would do what you are descibing...pull away from the bosses on the shift segment. We ended up putting a small welded bead on the inside of the cover, then clearancing it down to the proper thickness. Till we could do that, we ran a few spacer washers on the outside of the stator cover to space the shifter arm and hold it out away fron the motor to keep the shift shaft from pulling in towards the clutch side cover. It's only a temporary fix because the washers, shift arm, and side cover will wear and the spacing will open up again. Plus the friction added doesn't help the shift smoothness....but it go them through the weekend.

Hope that helps you. :)

Its a Direct Drive cast cover. It's not a factory clutch cover modified. I bought it not to long after Direct Drive came out with their own.

And the post on the inside of the cover didn't look worn at all. In fact, it doesn't even look like it had even been against the shaft at all.

Something still has to be worn down. I didn't feel like taking my clutch basket off to inspect. I will just see how this goes. I'll take a peek after Easter.