Prep for rebuild, take 2

well, ive decided that as much as I'd like to spend the money sending out my motor to a pro for a rebuild, i think ill give it another go in house... im just tired of the 'ole girl sitting hurt in the garage.

I havent torn down the motor yet as it blew about 2.5 years ago, i think it went lean again after a fresh build, only had 5-10 hours on the motor... anyway, are there any checks that I can do before tear down that i should try? hopefully it will just be a easy top end rebuild, but again any advice would be welcomed...

good call... ill build up somthing before i start the tear-down... i'm really hoping for somthing silly to be leaking like intake boots... i'd hate to split the cases again to replace a basically brand new seal... oh well, live and learn.

i'll do my best to post pics and ask questions as my build progresses.

well, ive decided that as much as I'd like to spend the money sending out my motor to a pro for a rebuild, i think ill give it another go in house... im just tired of the 'ole girl sitting hurt in the garage.

I havent torn down the motor yet as it blew about 2.5 years ago, i think it went lean again after a fresh build, only had 5-10 hours on the motor... anyway, are there any checks that I can do before tear down that i should try? hopefully it will just be a easy top end rebuild, but again any advice would be welcomed...

check compression leak down test recheck jetting also order a topend gasket kit and pull top and have a fresh hone done an go from there imo lol

check compression leak down test recheck jetting also order a topend gasket kit and pull top and have a fresh hone done an go from there imo lol

i dont think compression matters much... if i remember correctly the right cylinder had metal on the spark plug, i'm hoping the cylinders didnt get jacked up as i sent them to a machine shop for the last rebuild...

i know my jetting is a bit off, but on the rich side of the spectrum... i had 310 mains and 30 pilots, plugs were dark when ever i checked them.

and so begins the process... did a leak down test... left crank seal had a pinhole leak... and a couple very very small leaks around the case, guessing it was the case sealant i used... live and learn, just wish i learned more the first time...

anyhow... heres a couple pictures, left cylinder has the hole in it.

right spark plug (little rich but atleast safe)

IMAG0156.jpg

Left spark plug (bright white, little metal, not a good sign...)

LEFTPLUG.jpg

pulled off the coolhead, amazingly the domes are fine

HEADOFF.jpg

pistons out of the jugs

PISTONS.jpg

LEFTPISTON.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

I will be taking the cylinders into work tomorrow to clean them and measure them, but 85-90% of the crosshatch is still in em, so i shouldnt have too much of a problem... I'll update as i take the motor farther down, gonna have to split the cases on this build, now i just gotta remember to seal the damn things up correctly, and I'll deffinately do a leak down before final install this time.

lessons learned!