Should both carbs be jetted the same?

J2X

I'm just curious if both carbs should be jetted the same. I went riding today and fouled two plugs both on the same cylinder (left side) It seems to be running rich yet the right side looks great! I have a fresh motor that I finished up this last Friday. 1.5 over WSM Forged pistons, ported jugs, Cool Head, 18cc domes, Race fuel, +4 timing, Pro-Circuit Platinum pipes, Hotrods crank and rod assm, 30mm OKO carbs with 55 pilots and 160 mains. K&N air filter with no air box. When the plugs weren't fouled the bike is extremely fast. It would run fine for about 45 minutes then foul a plug. Got any suggestions?

Yes they are synced, and I thought that they were supposed to be jetted the same but wasn't sure why the difference in plug readings. If water was leaking into the cylinder wouldn't there be signs of that? I'll check into the weak fire theory. Thanks for your help!

Since you state that the jugs are ported....then No the jets may not be the same. One side may flow better than the other. I've had a few motors that needed one cylinder to have a jet one or even two sizes bigger or smaller than the other. On the other hand, you could have an O-ring leak that's wetting the plugs. If your not loosing water and not smelling fuel/oil in your water...than it might just need a smaller jet or even a different airscrew setting than the other cylinder.

I had the exact same problem as you, almost a year ago. It turned out to be that one side of the coil would quit, once it got good, and warm. Switch your plug wires around, and see if the problem changes sides. If it does, then it could just be a bad plug boot, damaged plug wire, or bad coil.