new 4mm crank problem

some places are getting away with some really crap cranks these days..

i would NEVER use filler on a crank weld the filler WILL POP OUT after the stresses are in there and filler rod floping around in a motor YIKES>

most welds are pretty nice and very flat at least the ones i have done were.

That crank looks just like my new one. Its one of the new cranks that all the builders are selling for around $380. I was told that the crank was made in the USA, but after seeing "taiwan" on the side of the crank and contacting the builder, I was then told the crank is assembled in the usa. Well that's a little different. The sled cranks that I have welded are welded w/no filler and the bead is pretty flush w/the crank throw.

some places are getting away with some really crap cranks these days..

i would NEVER use filler on a crank weld the filler WILL POP OUT after the stresses are in there and filler rod floping around in a motor YIKES>

most welds are pretty nice and very flat at least the ones i have done were.

I don't see how the filler rod could pop out if it was welded correctly, it should all be fused into one piece. Weld it hotter and use just enough filler to keep the puddle flat and you'll have a nice flat weld that penetrates deeper and is stronger than one that uses no filler at all.