Vin# on Case

This bike I bought the previous owner said he had a chain snap and hit the case, had it fixed and said that when the shop polished the cases they polished off the vin. banghead

what are my options? can I re-stamp the Vin? is it the same number as the frame Vin?

Do I need to worry about it or will I not get messed with out at the dunes if I ever get stopped? (UTAH)

Sorry for the newb????'s

Thanks for any help!

This bike I bought the previous owner said he had a chain snap and hit the case, had it fixed and said that when the shop polished the cases they polished off the vin. banghead

what are my options? can I re-stamp the Vin? is it the same number as the frame Vin?

Do I need to worry about it or will I not get messed with out at the dunes if I ever get stopped? (UTAH)

Sorry for the newb????'s

Thanks for any help!

alot of places dont mess with checking all the vins over in Wa they do in Or ive heard not so much not sure of Idaho and utah thowe the majority of these bikes have lots of different bikes ive went through 3 sets of cases in 4 years as long as your #s aren't stolen your good to go

Yeah just registered the bike last week and everything came back fine on it. I just dont want to get out somewhere one day and a ranger stops me for whatever reason and my bike gets taken for not motor vin.....

Yeah just registered the bike last week and everything came back fine on it. I just dont want to get out somewhere one day and a ranger stops me for whatever reason and my bike gets taken for not motor vin.....

Its damn near impossible to polish off a vin.In NY they never check motor tags just frame vin.I do know for a fact if they wanna check it they have a special die to put on the metal to make the numbers stand out.If there is any question we usually grind them ,tig weld,mill them ,stamp them

Do brand new replacement cases(and frames for that matter) have numbers stamped in them when you buy them through parts? If not, just tell the cops that is what you have. Also, on the early year bikes, the engine number does match the frame number, but on later years they don't. M89 has matching numbers, but the 96 we bought new for my wife did not match.