more smoke out of one cylinder

cvalcore

so your saying my pilots are just fine and i no about the higher jetting in cold weather. and are you saying the higher altitude i need to run smaller jets??????? and i need to turn down my air mixture a half turn or so??? and what is a agressive dune porting how do you no you have that i bought this bike pretty much like it is now i no its ported and polished but how agressive it is i dont no but i no one thing i noticed is that the port is quit a bit bigger than the ports in the piston.

i posted the same thing 3 days ago its under( help need opinions )there is a video befor and after .and what i did was get new carb gaskets one of the carb gaskets was no good and it mad that side run lean cause it was getting more air, so the other side smoked alot more,but after a change the gaskets it ran lean on both sides so i adjusted the pilots from 1 1/2 turns to 2 but im at sea level and now it runs and smokes like it should :headbang:

Edited by tipn22

Yeah I live about 90 minutes from Sand Mountain, UT. I think its about (5,000 to 5,200FT)

Just to give you an estimate on what jets to run, look at my mods in my profile....I run 310 mains, stock pilots, needles second notch from blunt end, air screws 1 1/2 out. I would say if your running 310's you could possibly be too rich, even with my 310's in the middle of the summer at 5,000FT I'm a tad rich and I'm running CPI's and Aggressive Dune Porting...etc.

Remember though, the colder it is outside the more fuel you need. I don't ride in this weather, so I keep my 310's in for the summer riding I do.

-Zach

You need to get yourself a set of #27.5 and a set of #30 pilots. Start with the 27.5's first and your pilots at 1.5 turns out from bottom. Adjust your air bleed screw 1/8 of a turn each at-a-time until your idle is good. Sounds like you should start screwing them IN first. If you need go in more than a full turn, then go to the 30's and start again at 1.5 T on the idle.

Remember, the Idle screw is an air bleed, so if you go out you're getting leaner because you're opening the screw and mixing more air. If you go IN you're getting richer because you're closing the air off and getting richer. If you get more than a full turn in any direction, you need to step the jet down (leaner) or up (richer) accordingly. Also remember that if the air is cold it's DENSER so you need less air to maintain the same air/fuel ratio. You'll have to reduce the jet size in the summer for warmer air, so you should definitely be on the RICH side in the winter for your pilot jet so you can turn the screw out in the summer to compensate if necessary.

Once you get it running more-or-less smoothly at idle, you should adjust your needle clip to get a smooth transition to off-idle to MID as you VERY slowly squeeze the throttle to middle. Right now it's VERY rich (you said the clip is closest to the needle end) , you might want to start in the middle. Then start with your mains something higher than SpecialEd's 310 (to be safe) and do a plug chop at WOT. If you really want to be perfectly jetted, then do plug chops at off-idle, middle and wide-open. Be conservative and jet for winter in the low and mid and you can leave them alone in the summer, just drop two sizes on the main in the summer (if your winter main jets are 310, then your summer mains should be something like 290 and you'll be safe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by muggzy

ok i rebuilt the carbs and put in 27.5 pilots and i kept the 310 mains i tryed to install the needle valves that came with the kit but they where about a 1/4" to short so i used the old ones set at the 4th seting from the blunt end and its running great. but when im riding it it has almost no smoke out of either side and im told this is good becouse its cleaned out is this true??? it will start to smoke if i let it idle for a couple of minutes but it has more smoke out the right side now then the left so im going to adjust the idle screw in on that side alittle to see if that helps any and i just want to no if im on the right track or not thanks for all the help

BE CAREFUL. Adjusting anything based on the smoke is DANGEROUS. You need to do a plug chop to be sure you're still not lean. Unless you're racing, plan on tuning on the rich side, your engine will last much longer. Technically you should do plug chops at just off idle, mid-throttle and WOT (you can use the screw on the front of the throttle lever to limit your range). Most people just tune the idle and mid-range by adjusting the air screws 1/8th turn at-a-time each (together) by ear; then the midrange by checking the response as you increase the throttle and making sure you get a smooth response; then only doing a plug chop at WOT.

If you're worried about the difference, you should really do a leak-down test and then sync your carbs according to the service or Clymer's manual (but preferably with a sync tool from F.A.S.T.).

Edited by muggzy