+3 +1 arms

yamanshee_350

i was planning on purchasing some a arms and i wanted to know a few things..if i was to get the fullflight +3's what is the maximum shock length i can use before i start messing with geometry? i saw that fullflight offers arms designed for the yfz450 shock and i figured they just have a better mount so you dont have to grind off the lower shock mount. i also really need to know if gettting some +3's is gonna make my +2 axle look too short?

i was planning on purchasing some a arms and i wanted to know a few things..if i was to get the fullflight +3's what is the maximum shock length i can use before i start messing with geometry? i saw that fullflight offers arms designed for the yfz450 shock and i figured they just have a better mount so you dont have to grind off the lower shock mount. i also really need to know if gettting some +3's is gonna make my +2 axle look too short?

YFZ450 shocks are 15 3/4 eye to eye. Banshee shocks are 14 3/4". If the arms are designed to be used with YFZ shocks, then you can get away with shocks up to about 16 1/2" before you start limiting up travel.

Your back end might look a bit narrower. Maybe swap out your +2 axle for a +4 G-Force, or durablue.

YFZ450 shocks are 15 3/4 eye to eye. Banshee shocks are 14 3/4". If the arms are designed to be used with YFZ shocks, then you can get away with shocks up to about 16 1/2" before you start limiting up travel.

Your back end might look a bit narrower. Maybe swap out your +2 axle for a +4 G-Force, or durablue.

Is there a night & day difference between the +2+1 & +3+1 arms?

No there isnt any dramatic diference, only a pro can recognize.

I have messed a lot with Banshees geo and I can tell you that

THESE MODS ARE MININGLESS WITHOUT UPGRADING (BANSHEE SPECIFICATION)SHOCKS.

do NOT buy YFZ 450 shocks, they are designed for the 450 and you will spend more money than you thing in order to fine tune them.

Be patient and buy a new set of shocks together with your arms.

He's kinda right...

The valving is not correct for the weight of the banshee. YFZ's are lighter than the Banshee, and the geometry is not the same.

Second, YFZ shocks are 15 3/4", stock length banshee shocks are 14 3/4".

Now for the good.

They are 3 way adjustable. In order to get that from an Elka, you'd need to buy a stage 3, at a minimum.

They use a REAL progressive spring. Simulates a dual rate pretty well.

They are rebuildable and revalveable (Not cost effective to do so, but the option is always there)

There are dual rate kits available for them for around $250.00.

My conclusion:

I wouldn't run them on STOCK arms. Simply because they are too long (See below), and you have to modify either the shock, or the lower arm to get them to fit. On +2's, or +3's, I would run them, but only as a last resort. In the case of a +2, they would be too soft for just about any rider over 200lbs.

You can pick up a set of used Works Performance shocks, built for the banshee, for between 200-300. Not too much more than the YFZ shocks, and they are MUCH cheaper to rebuild, and revalve. They are a true dual, or triple rate off the shelf, and look pretty sweet polished and powdercoated (shameless plug :P )

Finally, for those of you that WANT to run YFZ shocks on a Banshee with stock arms. I have an option for you. I can shorten the shocks by 1", so they will be correct for your stock arms. PM me for info.

the thing with +3 arms is this. most people dont know it i dont think. you can run the 4/1 ofset wheels and the bike steer's much easier and will not fatigue as much. the big ofset out wheels can bump steer bad and will want to follow ruts and such even in sand. the 4-1 inset wheel lines up better with the steering angles of the ball joints. i always liked the +3's for that reason i could still run stock offset wheels and i felt they rode better.