Help please.

cobraboxhead

Hey there everyone, I am only new and honestly know nothing at all when it comes to Quads, Bikes or anything like this (even 2 stroke knowledge is lacking).

I am hoping I dont tread on any toes or upset anyone by joining the forum and straight up asking for help, but here goes.

On Sunday a mate gave me a banshee, he got it second hand from someone else and after sitting in his shed for 4 years he has come to realise it will just sit there and collect dust.

I live on a rural block near Alice Springs in central Australia and have wanted a quad for a while to look around and search some out of the way places (mainly for old cars), anyway I now have this quad and will be attempting to reassemble it, I am most likely going to ask a heap of questions and look for technical assistance.

First up, how do I tell what year it is?

It has no plastics, is there a way to tell by the frame design, or by the engine design?

If taking a picture and displaying a frame or a part on here will help then I can get some pics soon.

I am confident enough that I can assemble it (I will infact completly strip it and reseal everything and reassemble) but will be looking for technical assistance.

I hope I can return the favour at some stage.

My background is as a motor mechanic and kit car assembler.

Thanks in advance.

Boxhead (David)

welcome to the site, man. yah, we have a few aussies on here. three of them frequent the shoutbox, actually. the only ways to tell right away what year it is, is that in 87-88, or 89, they had upper j-arms, which are the thick single peice ar, and after that, all the way to present, they are all a-arm. in up to 95, they were all round toyota electrical plugs. 95-96, the electrical kinda changed. i can't remember, but i believe the plugs changed to the newer rounded-square toyota plugs, and 97-present are the same plugs, plus it has park-brake wires and some little shit. i forgot what youear, but i think 2001 added a brake light to the tail, so it will have switches in the hand, and foot brake levers. plastics changed every year, but they get swapped often. the singel sure way to tell, is to just decode the vin number, which is located stamped into the frame just below the stator cover round part. i think you can find that link on the technical docs page. go to the home page and you will find a lot of reading. there is a huge market, and endless possibilities for rebuilding that thing, whatever riding style, power level, bone stock restore, etc, and it's dirt cheap to do in comparison. there are some verry important things though. you need to get familiar with your jetting. it's actually relatively easy once you stop telling yourself it's complicated. you need to know about the T.O.R.S., which you can disable by unplugging the little blac box under the gas tank..............those are the big 2 startesrs, and i'm sure you will find the rest as you learn the machine. they are actually really easy to take care of, and super cheap to fix. good luck, and everyone likes pics anyways. why not say hi in the shoutbox.......... :cheers:

welcome to the site, man. yah, we have a few aussies on here. three of them frequent the shoutbox, actually. the only ways to tell right away what year it is, is that in 87-88, or 89, they had upper j-arms, which are the thick single peice ar, and after that, all the way to present, they are all a-arm. in up to 95, they were all round toyota electrical plugs. 95-96, the electrical kinda changed. i can't remember, but i believe the plugs changed to the newer rounded-square toyota plugs, and 97-present are the same plugs, plus it has park-brake wires and some little shit. i forgot what youear, but i think 2001 added a brake light to the tail, so it will have switches in the hand, and foot brake levers. plastics changed every year, but they get swapped often. the singel sure way to tell, is to just decode the vin number, which is located stamped into the frame just below the stator cover round part. i think you can find that link on the technical docs page. go to the home page and you will find a lot of reading. there is a huge market, and endless possibilities for rebuilding that thing, whatever riding style, power level, bone stock restore, etc, and it's dirt cheap to do in comparison. there are some verry important things though. you need to get familiar with your jetting. it's actually relatively easy once you stop telling yourself it's complicated. you need to know about the T.O.R.S., which you can disable by unplugging the little blac box under the gas tank..............those are the big 2 startesrs, and i'm sure you will find the rest as you learn the machine. they are actually really easy to take care of, and super cheap to fix. good luck, and everyone likes pics anyways. why not say hi in the shoutbox.......... :cheers:

Thanks for all that AK, I know it has "A" arms, I can quickly check the plug connectors but as you say easiest way is decode VIN, so now I know where to look I will grab that at lunch time and see what it comes out as.

I will also get some pics up of what I have.

Cheers.

hey dave, welcome and stuff :D.

free banshee !! thats a good deal haha, the biggest help would be a clymers manual on the banshee, it has everything you need to know with specs and step by step instructions. If you need more parts, price them up here first (usually always way cheaper) you can get anything you want from the sponsors here. ( http://www.bansheehq.com/yz-banshee-specs-sponsors.html ).

enjoy :headbang::cheers:

Welcome to the site. I'm pretty new on here as well and every question that I've asked has always been answered. You will find that, when it comes to banshees, this is the place to come. Another thing...Always check the for sale on here before you go and order stuff for your quad. There are great deals to be had.