v link front end suspension

banshee67

alright, so i was reading one of the Dirt Wheels issues and they were talking about one of their past issues (from something like 1991 or so) and it was refering back to the prototype v link front end suspension. know from what they said, they got the idea from the formula one race cars. it looked very strange but they said that it turned very easily and was soft in the smaller whoops/ bumps and stiffened up with the second spring rate for larger jumps. now i was wondering about two things. if the idea performed so well, why didnt the racing company's take this idea and refine it. secondly, it reminded me of the sundahl banshee. only kinda reversed, so how would one fabricate one of these if one could?

you need to post up some pics..

and as far as developing something that looks "off" its hard to sell i rember when KTM switched to inverted front forks on their dirt bikes they hated to do it their std front forks worked amazing ( they also used no link rear ends) BUT the "consumer" was confused as to why KTM still had std forks when EVERYONE ELSE had inverted it took ktm years to figure out the front forks after they switched..

i have searched the internet for the last hour and have found no results other then having to order a subscription myself and order that issue through there newest which i dont want to spend the money. the best i can describe it is this.

the shocks were on the inside of the frame instead of being on the outside on a-arms.

there were linkages that attach the shocks to the frame along with long push rod type things that were running straight up and down off of these other things that acted like a-arms. as the arms where pushed up, the rods would push on a pivot as they were pushed up and would in turn push down on the shock.

this seems kind of odd to me but looks cool. and from the reviews of what was briefly said, it sounds like an awesome design as well as looks unique.

i have searched the internet for the last hour and have found no results other then having to order a subscription myself and order that issue through there newest which i dont want to spend the money. the best i can describe it is this.

the shocks were on the inside of the frame instead of being on the outside on a-arms.

there were linkages that attach the shocks to the frame along with long push rod type things that were running straight up and down off of these other things that acted like a-arms. as the arms where pushed up, the rods would push on a pivot as they were pushed up and would in turn push down on the shock.

this seems kind of odd to me but looks cool. and from the reviews of what was briefly said, it sounds like an awesome design as well as looks unique.

hmm ok i looked on the nett also. couldnt find shit either. must not be that important.

my DMR chassis has a weird linkage thanggy on the back that works very well ( now that i have it tuned in) it sounds a lil similar to this.. i cannot picture this v style your talking about ..

From your description, it sounds like you're talking about a cantilever setup. We've used cantilever designs, mainly on the rear for stadium trucks, or CORR trucks. The reason for this setup, mainly, is space limitations. You can get more travel out of a shorter shock with this style suspension. The best image I can find right now, to describe what I'm talking about, is this.

seven0241.jpg

If you google "cantilever suspension", you will probably get some other similar results.

ya that is very similar. i think if i can remember the company name was something like diamondback? but i was just wanting more information on it. sounds like something i would want to do. if anything i have a trx 250r that i could do something with. needs new shocks anyway. but i have searched diamondback v-link setups, and they seem to be focusing on mountain bikes. i just want to try something new and if it works and works well, who knows what could happen.

ya that is very similar. i think if i can remember the company name was something like diamondback? but i was just wanting more information on it. sounds like something i would want to do. if anything i have a trx 250r that i could do something with. needs new shocks anyway. but i have searched diamondback v-link setups, and they seem to be focusing on mountain bikes. i just want to try something new and if it works and works well, who knows what could happen.

oh, matt beat me to the technical term. yes, what you describe is simply a cantilever setup, no matter what the specific design is called. you could make your own and call it a "suck-my-balls link" but it would still be a cantilever. there has been many forms, but all it does is transfer the travel force elsewhere. 2 main points of doing this- first, to change leverage and increase travel from, or decrease load on a shock, and 2nd- to move the mass of the shock away from the wheel, which increases responsiveness of the individual wheel, for more contact time. the same reason to run a lighter wheel/rim assy, and lighter arms. maybe you can draw it out in mspaint, or something. idk for sure, but i think most 250r's already have a cantilever rear, like the ltr250, only they work a bit differently, and the other end of the shock is back on the arm. there is one major downside to having this type of cantilever setup, though. there is more links to wear out and increase suspension chatter, like having a worn out shock, or joint long before any one part is actually worn out. i would like to see what you are referring to with the "dual stage" setup. you can get shocks with dual and triple stage springs "triple-rate" same with the shock valving. it does bring up a kind of idea in my head......