msd or dynatek ignition

i ride woods is it worth the money to buy a msd or dynatek full blown ignition system and do u really notice the difference in each category for what they help in each department on the bike i didnt think there was a redline on the banshee as rpm goes

No...don't waste your money on a trail/woods bike.

Unless you're looking to get max power out of a drag bike, program custom curves, etc., it'd be a waste of money IMO.

Better off with 4 on a plate, domes and good porting.

The dyna is trash and is something that you should NEVER need to buy.

no, you never need one....but it has a whole bunch of features you can't get elsewhere. it does make a difference you can feel and use, without having to choose between topend and low-end adjustments

no, you never need one....but it has a whole bunch of features you can't get elsewhere. it does make a difference you can feel and use, without having to choose between topend and low-end adjustments

Like lost horsepower? Sure. I felt it too! There is a reason why people who actually race use the complete stock ignition and not the dyna.

Edit: "people who actually race" wasn't a slight towards anyone, just meant people who can actually monitor performance gains easier than duners/rec riders.

Edited by Koolguyson

No...don't waste your money on a trail/woods bike.

Unless you're looking to get max power out of a drag bike, program custom curves, etc., it'd be a waste of money IMO.

Better off with 4 on a plate, domes and good porting.

stock plate +4 all the way

Like lost horsepower? Sure. I felt it too! There is a reason why people who actually race use the complete stock ignition and not the dyna.

Edit: "people who actually race" wasn't a slight towards anyone, just meant people who can actually monitor performance gains easier than duners/rec riders.

Drag racers use a stock ignition because they operate in one very small rpm window the entire way down the track. People who use them otherwise can benefit from the broad programmable ignition curve in the cdi at all rpm levels.

Drag racers use a stock ignition because they operate in one very small rpm window the entire way down the track. People who use them otherwise can benefit from the broad programmable ignition curve in the cdi at all rpm levels.

It is about making as much horsepower as possible. When I had the data acquisition equipment on my dmx it would often launch at 6k rpm, and when it bogged it would go into the low 5k's. So we use low end, just like the duners.

I have tried two Dyna's, and both lost considerable power on the topend. They simply do not produce spark in the upper rpm and they cut out. It seems to only happen with banshee's though because they work great on my 250r's and 4-junks.

It is about making as much horsepower as possible. When I had the data acquisition equipment on my dmx it would often launch at 6k rpm, and when it bogged it would go into the low 5k's. So we use low end, just like the duners.

I have tried two Dyna's, and both lost considerable power on the topend. They simply do not produce spark in the upper rpm and they cut out. It seems to only happen with banshee's though because they work great on my 250r's and 4-junks.

so, is this a definate occurence that happens to everyone, yet you are the first one i've seen talk about it? everyone else who has run one in drag must just be too ashamed to admit it, then.......... i don't know your experience, but it could be possible that you were running a high output coil, which they don't always like.....the circuitry is designed to increase the output of a stock coil. also, never being at all interested in racing, i have found the dyna fs programmable very much worth the price. but, i'm not simply doing a mild build, either. even though, i went ahead and put it on a somewhat mild build with just bolt-ons this spring, and it was a night and day difference to pick up some lost top-end, without having to sacrifice the low-mid punch from advancing. i'm sure i'll be more than happy with the custom curves i'm going to be putting in there.....