What is detonation

well, like i mentioned, a "miss-spark" (made up term) can suck a ring land, which is the "land" or piston area that holds the rings in...... the low detail pic didn't leave enough for me to see the difference. they can look similar, and you break a ring half the time you have a melt-down, which is what makes you stop, or it back-fire. i suspect this, because i don't see any sign of detonation, or melting on the un-damaged parts of the piston crown or dome. i have seen both first hand. did it seem to shake a lot, or pop at idle and lower rpm's? the lean condition can come from a glazed carburetor surface, or under-tightened clamp, as well as plugged jets, fuel separation, or other flow issues, even the gas cap. if you can get a more detailed pic, i can probably tell you exactly what happened. (fuel, spark, or snag) THIS TEAR DOWN IS VERY CRUCIAL IN PAYIN ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND TAKING PICS, due to the nature of the implications. i'd hate to see uninformed actions

CANT AGREE MORE ON TAKING PICS WHEN U START TO TEAR IT DOWN!..very important to show what caused this so it wont happen and again and see who is liable for damages also!>.

Edited by tripledsracing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are some of you guys suggesting that a leak down test should be performed every time the carbs are taken off? This would involve taking off the pipes, correct? Every time a carb is removed and for jetting we need to pressure test? I have never heard of this before. I thought the pressure test was mostly for base, head, and intake gaskets. Is giving the carb and intake connection a shot of carb cleaner with engine running not adequate? What if he was running a air box, how would he pressure test those connections?

Are some of you guys suggesting that a leak down test should be performed every time the carbs are taken off? This would involve taking off the pipes, correct? Every time a carb is removed and for jetting we need to pressure test? I have never heard of this before. I thought the pressure test was mostly for base, head, and intake gaskets. Is giving the carb and intake connection a shot of carb cleaner with engine running not adequate? What if he was running a air box, how would he pressure test those connections?

No, they're saying if you blow up your motor to do a leak down test before tearing the motor down. Ruling out an air leak will aid in figuring out what caused the problem by process of elimination.

Edited by AssWhore

Yeah these were the only pics I took. Like I said I didn't do the tear down my buddy did. That was after talking to the builder and he told him to take off the head and let him know what he found. And honestly the only reason I took them is so my buddy could email them to the builder but he just ended up sending the motor to him after seeing the damage. The last I talked to him he said he was going to ship it out today. So the motor should be there in the next few days or so. The builder said he would look st it as soon as it got there. I will keep you guys posted as to what was found and all that good shit.

could also have been a blown o ring on that side causing it to burn some water. did you notice any extra smoke or steam before it blew? im no expert but from looking at pics i would say either burning water/antifreeze, or lean on that side. especially when you consider the color of the domes from one to the other

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone that had kept up with this post... My buddy sent it to the builder and found out that there was and air leak/ lean condition. We thick that it was in the choke tube but not 100%. Needless to say Jeff it taking care of everything for him. He has proven to be and outstanding builder and all around great person to deal with. I will actually be sending my motor to him over this winter for it to be built.

For everyone that had kept up with this post... My buddy sent it to the builder and found out that there was and air leak/ lean condition. We thick that it was in the choke tube but not 100%. Needless to say Jeff it taking care of everything for him. He has proven to be and outstanding builder and all around great person to deal with. I will actually be sending my motor to him over this winter for it to be built.

Now these are the kind of stories we like to hear. Ones with builders who are helpfull in times of trouble and customers who end up with happy endings. The builder may not eat the whole thing, but I'm sure he'll help him out any way he can. Now.....ditch those stock carbs with the choke tubes. ;)

Now these are the kind of stories we like to hear. Ones with builders who are helpfull in times of trouble and customers who end up with happy endings. The builder may not eat the whole thing, but I'm sure he'll help him out any way he can. Now.....ditch those stock carbs with the choke tubes. ;)

yah, the stock carbs with one single choke tube is much better tan ones with multiple choke tubes :jesterlaugh: