Transmission Fluid Leak

robs400

I FINALLY got the banshee back together last week. I found this site in early spring after I had some issues with what I thought/hoped was only my clutch. After getting everything back together it seems that the clutch is what was making that horrid noise. Took it up and down the dirt rd here a few times tonight and its running great. Hasnt started since last thanksgiving, and it started up second kick!

Anyways...the initial noise the banshee had, I believe was due to the fluid getting low and messing up the clutch plates. So after I changed the clutch and figured out that was the cause of the noise...I need to find out where the fluid went.

Banshee is all stock - 2004, low hrs. It has a new clutch cover gasket so I dont believe that is leaking, and the old one looked to be in good shape. I did notice fluid on the other side of the engine tonight tho. It is wet around the drive gear coming out of the case. It does not appear that the case was ever hit with a broken chain, but there are two small cavities below the drive sprocket on the case. Inside of those cavities look like pins...sitting in about a 1/4" or so. There is bright red fluid there, it looks fresh. I looked in the manual this evening, and it looks like those pins are actually rods that hold the shift forks on the other end...and that where I see the fluid seeping thru, there should be a plug. There are no plugs there currently. It looks like it is just a push in plug tho...will that really hold fluid behind it...is it common these fall out? Or am I looking at a bigger problem with a possible warn part causing fluid to leak there?

Thanks for the help!

I FINALLY got the banshee back together last week. I found this site in early spring after I had some issues with what I thought/hoped was only my clutch. After getting everything back together it seems that the clutch is what was making that horrid noise. Took it up and down the dirt rd here a few times tonight and its running great. Hasnt started since last thanksgiving, and it started up second kick!

Anyways...the initial noise the banshee had, I believe was due to the fluid getting low and messing up the clutch plates. So after I changed the clutch and figured out that was the cause of the noise...I need to find out where the fluid went.

Banshee is all stock - 2004, low hrs. It has a new clutch cover gasket so I dont believe that is leaking, and the old one looked to be in good shape. I did notice fluid on the other side of the engine tonight tho. It is wet around the drive gear coming out of the case. It does not appear that the case was ever hit with a broken chain, but there are two small cavities below the drive sprocket on the case. Inside of those cavities look like pins...sitting in about a 1/4" or so. There is bright red fluid there, it looks fresh. I looked in the manual this evening, and it looks like those pins are actually rods that hold the shift forks on the other end...and that where I see the fluid seeping thru, there should be a plug. There are no plugs there currently. It looks like it is just a push in plug tho...will that really hold fluid behind it...is it common these fall out? Or am I looking at a bigger problem with a possible warn part causing fluid to leak there?

Thanks for the help!

Yep,just a case plug,its a solid plug and you can order one and use epoxy and tap it back in,hope this helps.

I'm glad to hear it running too. Just called and ordered those plugs. The guy wasnt sure if they were metal or not, but either way its the factory part I have ordered and I'll get them in there one way or another. It seems odd that they both fell out. Something that is meant to retain fluid like that I would think should have a positive means of being securely fastened. Unless the previous owner had them out for some reason and simply forgot to put them back in.

Any suggestions on first mods I should get? Its still all stock...not too worried about power right now...I like reliable. I was thinking a case saver as it sounds like those are a good idea to get. Any other suggestions on things I should check or purchase? It does not see much abuse as I dont drive it too often due to where I live...but I do take it back to NY occasionally and would like it to be in working order with no worries. Last year I drove 5 hrs to get 5 minutes of ride time...and then another 5hrs back...no fun.