Sooo that happened...

Deaven

okay so i bought a banshee awhile back and after a few months of riding i got a rod/ball weld to have fun with. well while tearing down the motor i found the previous owner decided to use a broken piston in the right cyl. (ill post pics :) and since Ive never bought a new piston i need some help figuring out what size i need. another factor to this equation is the last owner gave me an extra set of jugs that are larger and are ported, i dont know if its a good job so ill post pics of that as well for opinions. the only problem with the second set i can see is some a layer of rust can it be removed safely?

take both sets of cyls down to a shop and have them spec'd that will tell you what size pistons you are going to need for each cyls. if the shop is worth having them do it, they will want the pistons first, so they can get the right clearance, and they will re-chamfer the ports. if they do not do that, or even ask, go somewhere else, but at least you will know what size your bores are. as for the porting, it doesn't look like a hack job, but you are going to have to get the durrations to a builder to find out what kind of port job it is

take both sets of cyls down to a shop and have them spec'd that will tell you what size pistons you are going to need for each cyls. if the shop is worth having them do it, they will want the pistons first, so they can get the right clearance, and they will re-chamfer the ports. if they do not do that, or even ask, go somewhere else, but at least you will know what size your bores are. as for the porting, it doesn't look like a hack job, but you are going to have to get the durrations to a builder to find out what kind of port job it is

can rust like that just be sand blasted out? or when your honning your cylinders would that take of the rust?

can rust like that just be sand blasted out? or when your honning your cylinders would that take of the rust?

Rust like that can be blasted or honed out but there will most likely be pits and stains when finished. Depending on the severity of this, it could compromise ring break in and sealing. The machine shop should be able to tell you if it is good or bad.

you should be able to take a caiiper and measure front to back on the top off the cylinder and you should get the cylinder size.... this is how i was showed to measure cylinders on all types off motors.... and a hone with some wd-40 should clean up those cylinders as well.... this could save you some money if you dont want to pay a shop for all this stuff

Rust like that can be blasted or honed out but there will most likely be pits and stains when finished. Depending on the severity of this, it could compromise ring break in and sealing. The machine shop should be able to tell you if it is good or bad.

so if there is pitting then would resleaving the cylinders be a good idea or just scrap em cause there stock cylinders. money wise whats the best idea

so if there is pitting then would resleaving the cylinders be a good idea or just scrap em cause there stock cylinders. money wise whats the best idea

well if there stock bore and there pitted i would bore them from what i have noticed boring is cheaper then resleaving

You aren't really going to know until you have them measured. Most shops won't charge anything just to measure for size. We don't. If it is somewhere between std and .060 then you could bore to the next size. If it is .080 or .100 then you may need to look into something different. Not sure what sleeving costs because we don't do 2 strokes, but it may be cheaper to find some good used cylinders.

you should be able to take a caiiper and measure front to back on the top off the cylinder and you should get the cylinder size.... this is how i was showed to measure cylinders on all types off motors.... and a hone with some wd-40 should clean up those cylinders as well.... this could save you some money if you dont want to pay a shop for all this stuff

no, calipers are not gonna cut it. you're nit trying to get a rated size, like a carb. you need to t-mic, bure gauge set, etc, in at least 6 reference points throughout the cyl, and if the cyls have been run on since the last bore, the actuall bore is going to be larger than what you read at the top. on top of that, any build-up like carbon or rust is going to shrink the reading. by all means, throw a quick oil hone in there if you have the hone laying around, so you can see what size it was, and whether it's worth boring out.