34mm Lectrons

GrMeyer

Ok so here is the deal. I need to make sure I have to right needle and starting point for my bike with these carbs on GAS for now and maybe later on this year for Alcohol.

Bike

Stock Stroke .50 over bore. Aggressive dune porting.

CPI inframes

Elevation 1117ft

Temps - Umm F'n HOT 90-110 for right now.

The needles in the carbs are LECTRON #16-4

Where can I get my Lectron needs?

I know of Packard, Fast by Gast and Lectron Fuel Systems.

I would rather have the guys on here help!

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16-4, wow. i think that might be the alky needle. i'm running a 0-3, if i remember. i wanna say you should be like 0-4, 1-4, 1-3, or close. my 0-3 is for the lectron pj's on gas. i go strait to wildcard for my lectron needs, but i hear everyone say redline is big in lectrons. one thing hat i did do was install a remote idle screw for them, and it helped tune the idle tons.

16-4, wow. i think that might be the alky needle. i'm running a 0-3, if i remember. i wanna say you should be like 0-4, 1-4, 1-3, or close. my 0-3 is for the lectron pj's on gas. i go strait to wildcard for my lectron needs, but i hear everyone say redline is big in lectrons. one thing hat i did do was install a remote idle screw for them, and it helped tune the idle tons.

Thanks for the info. How did you set up the remote idle screw for them?

If it is an alky needle then I guess Ill be going to alky sooner then I was thinking:headbang:

But I have another ? to add on that. It is set up for a single PJ feed line. I know I have seen where they can add two lines and others have just one line with a two setting PJ. Hope this makes sense to you guys.

Is there anything else that they need to know as for whats on the inside of the bowls? I Think they are set up for gravity. Ready dont know much about these carbs and the history. Got a screaming deal on them so thats why I jumped. $180 for both.

post-29074-12791425818878_thumb.jpg

post-29074-12791425906411_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. How did you set up the remote idle screw for them?

If it is an alky needle then I guess Ill be going to alky sooner then I was thinking:headbang:

But I have another ? to add on that. It is set up for a single PJ feed line. I know I have seen where they can add two lines and others have just one line with a two setting PJ. Hope this makes sense to you guys.

Is there anything else that they need to know as for whats on the inside of the bowls? I Think they are set up for gravity. Ready dont know much about these carbs and the history. Got a screaming deal on them so thats why I jumped. $180 for both.

i meant remote airscrew :shootself: there are 4 idle screw holes, and you only need 2. mine is on a rack, so only uses one, and it's also tapped for ballance to one bore. anyways, the idle screw holes, are also an access [port for vaccume side of the carbs. you screw in the same nipples as the bowl vent. i matched up a little valve at lowes, and attatched it to the airbox

Photo0600.jpg

you are probably running pods, so you would need to pull air by taping into one pod, to do it clean, though. you would need to change the pj to run dual feed to each. one thing i'm gonna add to mine is the pj check valves. there's not really much of anything in the bowls, but the flot/needle assemblies, and the pickup sheild, which has an optional "filter" you can put in there. get ahold of one of the sponsors, and they can get you lined out with a pair of needles, and you should have no problem running gas. pretty simple to know if they are set for gravity, or pump. if the bowls fill up. if they only fill half-way, it's a pumper. but, if you don't trust it, you can check the needle assy. i think there's #'s, can't remember......

I honestly don't know what kind of setup you're trying to explain there AK...and it's none like any I've ever seen for any type of carb or intake system.<br><br>Talk to Dennis Packard or Fast By Gast. Get the right needles. They should also tell you how to properly measure the needles from the bottom of the slides as well as what measurement to start at. You'll need a set of digital calipers.<br><br>Any Lecton can have the idle screw tapped on either side...but obviously you only need one per.<br>There is no air screw on a lectron...I don't know what that means.<br>It used the needle, or metering rod, for mixture instead of an air screw and/or pilot jet. The length and taper of the metering rod designates how much fuel/air the motor is receiving. I think you're trying to over engineer something very simple...<br><br>Lectron recommends one power jet for a two stroke engine. I have a dual feed power jet in my lectrons but I run alky as well.<br>For a smaller gas motor, a single power jet, single feed is sufficient. <br><br>As far as the needle and seat, if you look on it, it will either say nothing or 3.3. If it says 3.3 you have fuel pump needle and seat (the needle is smaller as is the hole in the seat than a gravity setup)<br><br>Also, you the float pins are different for gravity and fuel pump. For Fuel pump the float pin rests on the float arm away from the needle and seat.<br>For gravity, it rests towards the needle and seat.<br><br>Hope this makes sense and helps ya..<br><br>As far as going to alky...make sure your motor is setup properly for it (timing, compression, fuel supply, etc.)<br>There's more to it than having a carb setup for alky!<br><br>I will get a picture of mine when I get home later...if I remember. Don't waste your time on a dual feed PJ for now, learn how the carb works and tune it on gas first.  You'll love 'em.<br>

what's with all your <br>? anyways, i know exactly how a lectron works, and i will agree that it is a beautiful, and extreemly simple setup. i also see that it is entirely proprietary to lectron, thus allowing them to be as cheap as they want, since you are not going to find it anywhere else. once you get out of the circuit scene, you start to realize just how important at, and off idle is. i'm not the only one with the complaint of not being able to fine-tune the idle mixture without fucking with the entire throttle range. it's not a matter of complicating a simple system, but more in the lines of the same reason you throw an adjustible pj on a gasser. i like to reach down once in a while and give it a little turn, whether it be a 4 day ride, or a quick trip to the mx track, where the entire jetting doesn't really need to be touched, but it's nice to have it running like it was fuel injected. also, minor wear on the slide, or body, where the needle rides will have the biggest effect on idle, so it's nice to fine tune it for that reason, too. please try to be constructive and think about what i'm saying before pretentously dissmissing :cheers:

I honestly don't know where the <B> are coming from...formatting thing I guess.

I've run Lectrons on gas, small motors, single cylinders, etc. My bike is actually the first set I've used on an alky drag setup.

I've had old 125cc dirt bikes have great off idle response on motors that normally you have to wind the piss out of to go anywhere.

Suit yourself, In my experience opinion, I think you're over complicating things.

In the end, I know what works for me...and you know what works for you.

ak's look like the ones that were set up for an RZ street bike. they have a single throttle cable on them and are connected at the top for the throttle set up.

i think i know what you did you added a idle air mixture ( fuel added?) OR like injection you added a base idle air screw. ( air only) the slide stays put and the air is bypassed through your needle assembly with filter'd air, to the front of the carb its just kinda hard to see what you did with the picture and the description you have. am i right at all? interesting idear

to fine tune the idle mixture you would have to change needle's and that is kinda sucky if the rest of the rpm range is right on. you could also change the cut out on the slide but that would be tricky also

i would LOVE to see a set of slide released for these that are chrome or nickle plated. the oe's wear out way to fast.

i think i might have to try this on my next experiment bike its going to have either 36's or 32's alky on it. i think you would have to still set up the slides to be at the same height ( of course) and possibly need 2 screw's to match it up well. plus you would only be able to lean the idle and not richen it up unless you are adding fuel from the bowl.

its a neat idear there ak.. i usually just install the idle screw on the other side of the right carb so its really easy to get to BUT the type of carb set up you have would be a lil different from the throttle cable set up.

yah, it's just an airscrew for idle mixture. i hear they make my rack kit for the rz, but it must be a custom cable on there, since it wasn't sticking out of the end as far as twist throttle cables usually do. it has 2 levers on a shaft that lift the slides, instead of cables, and the cable is in the center on a roller. both carbs have the idle screw holes on both sides, but only 1 uses a screw, and sets both sides, then adjust the shaft for sync. what was done, though, is one bore is tapped with a nipple to connect a hose to the other slide through the idle screw hole, which balances them at idle. there was another nipple in another screw hole, which i'm not sure what it is there for, but it was real conveinient for the airscrew to hook up. i wonder if cp-9 friction coating might work good on the slides. only problem i saw with them for wear is the idle screw, and they really flop around with the body gasket in there. i ditched the gaskets and just ran 3C sealant on there, and they fit awesome after that. i noticed on mine, and heard from someone running alky, too, that idle is usually a tad rich

Ive been telling Dennis for over a year to push lectron to chrome plate the slides! They would last longer and operate sooo much smoother like a pwk. Some of my customers that arent good at purging on a regular basis have problems with the slides sticking from the alky gum, i just feel chrome would almost eliminate those problems problem.

i have an extra set of slides sitting around nto sure if they could plate them with the screw setting in there? i'd might just have to send a set in to millenium and find out..!

hmm also have a local plater here that MIGHT be able to do a set. i'd be curious about the clearance.

i bet you could corner the market on that if you set them up to plate easily.

the 4 strokes have a big problem with them sticking also they pull harder ont eh slide and stick them often.. onder if the plating would help that also..

• 2 weeks later...

The slide would def have to be machined different because of the thickness of the plating. Chrome would probably be .01-.02 thick i would imagine. Dennis told me not to long ago that lectrons were manufactured in Texas.

As far as your setup take some pictures of your needle and seat/float setup those pictures are really tough to see anything.