Best Coil Pack ?

decon

Since my bike has no spark, I've been thinking about switching to a new coil pack first then a CDI if that doesnt work. What aftermarket coil pack would everyone recommend that you've had experience with? I see a lot of people talk about the nology coil with the hot wires, and some the dyna coil. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks

Are you sure your current coil is bad? I wouldn't buy a brand new one to troubleshoot an ignition problem. As far as aftermarket; most run the nology coil, if not OEM. OEM is all I've ever ran.

well what else could it be? im running a new RS 200W stator, and i also checked the wires on my harness they all look good. only other thing I can think of is the cdi.

I just ordered the Dynatek coil last Friday. I comes with the wires, boots, and a mounting bracket, plus it's $40-$50 cheaper than the Nology, with everything. Your problem could still be the stator, as it seems as though nobody likes anything with the Ricky Stator name on it. Nothing but trouble.

Edited by fastbanshee8

Two bad stators from Ricky Stator in two years left me at the line with a dead motor.

They warrantied the first one, and they were very good about it....the second one I threw in the trash at the track garbage can.

Put an OEM one back on and been fine since.

To answer your question, I like the Nology Coil and hotwire setup.

I just ordered the Dynatek coil last Friday. I comes with the wires, boots, and a mounting bracket, plus it's $40-$50 cheaper than the Nology, with everything. Your problem could still be the stator, as it seems as though nobody likes anything with the Ricky Stator name on it. Nothing but trouble.

yah i've heard good and bad about them as well. maybe i'll look into checking my stator out first before I order a coil pack

Two bad stators from Ricky Stator in two years left me at the line with a dead motor.

They warrantied the first one, and they were very good about it....the second one I threw in the trash at the track garbage can.

Put an OEM one back on and been fine since.

To answer your question, I like the Nology Coil and hotwire setup.

the only reason i have the rs 200w stator is for my duner lights, they're not as bright with the stock stator. but maybe i'll try a stock stator first before anything. thanks for the advice

Edited by dEcon

Are you sure your current coil is bad? I wouldn't buy a brand new one to troubleshoot an ignition problem. As far as aftermarket; most run the nology coil, if not OEM. OEM is all I've ever ran.

Get the specs for the coil and check it out with an ohmmeter. When you check the secondary resistance make sure you hook one lead from the meter to each plug wire, not one to a wire and one to ground like most books tell you to do.

If you can get the specs for the RS staor you can also check it with an ohmmeter, the ignition and pickup specs should be the same as stock, only the lighting side of the stator should be different and that is not part of your current problem. Also, check your pickup coil gap, make sure your flywheel is good, that the coil is mounted to bare metal as that is the ground for the coil, or that you have no bare or shorted wires. If everything that I have mentioned checks out, then see if you can borrow a CDI box from a buddy to swap and see if that is the problem.

Either the Dyna or Nology coils are decent coils to use.

Get the specs for the coil and check it out with an ohmmeter. When you check the secondary resistance make sure you hook one lead from the meter to each plug wire, not one to a wire and one to ground like most books tell you to do.

If you can get the specs for the RS staor you can also check it with an ohmmeter, the ignition and pickup specs should be the same as stock, only the lighting side of the stator should be different and that is not part of your current problem. Also, check your pickup coil gap, make sure your flywheel is good, that the coil is mounted to bare metal as that is the ground for the coil, or that you have no bare or shorted wires. If everything that I have mentioned checks out, then see if you can borrow a CDI box from a buddy to swap and see if that is the problem.

Either the Dyna or Nology coils are decent coils to use.

Strange as it is - even though the ignition coil has bare metal mounts, it does not have to be grounded by those. Whil :confused: e trouble shooting electrical problems, I have zip tied a coil to the frame, making no contact with those mounting points. But everything else you say, I agree 100%. :cheers:

Strange as it is - even though the ignition coil has bare metal mounts, it does not have to be grounded by those. Whil :confused: e trouble shooting electrical problems, I have zip tied a coil to the frame, making no contact with those mounting points. But everything else you say, I agree 100%. :cheers:

I only mentioned it because everybody on here always brings it up. I ran my bike for about 7 years with one end of the coil mounted with an insulated wiring loom clip because 1 mounting ear broke off the frame. The last time I did a frame up rebuild I rewelded the bracket back on and mounted it factory style again,but I had no problems with spark when it was mounted with the insulated clip. But, several posters on here claim their bikes run much better with the mounts being bare metal and it is just easier to mention it to begin with.

Several people on here have had no spark issues with RS stators brand new out of the box.

Edited by bansheesandrider

just wondering, i think my cdi box is aftermarket, because its red and has a silver sticker under it that says banshee, or is that a stock one?

That sounds like a box from Rick's Electrics, at least that is what the one I bought from them looked llike. Not to jinx you, but mine quit working with less than 10 hours ride time on it. They did replace it under warranty after a major hassle and threatening to post on here about them. Just my .02.