Thread repair kit / Foot pegs

muggzy

Hey All,

The prior owner of my Banshee brilliantly welded on the left foot peg and I was finally forced to repair it so I can change my sprocket (couldn't get the shift pedal off unless I removed the engine from the frame otherwise). Long-story-short, I got the pedal off and ground the weld back down to the original metal.

The front threaded part that's factory welded to the frame was loose and fell off as soon as the weld around the back was cut (maybe why he welded the peg to the frame), it's no more than a thick washer with the hole threaded. There is an oversized hole in the 1/16th in. thick metal under this. The hole is just the right size that I can pound a lug nut with the flange facing outwards in to proper depth to match the old washer and weld it in place. I'll end up with more than the factory thread when I'm done with this hole.

The rear hole threads are in no shape to re-use but I was able to reshape the metal around this pretty close to it's original shape. The big question is this: Can I use a thread repair kit (like Helicoil or Time-sert) to repair this thread? The metal's about 3/16" thick here. I've never used a thread repair kit for this kind of application before and I'm a little concerned about the torsional force from standing on the peg and the relatively shallow depth of the material for the insert to bite into.

Edited by muggzy