problems in the sand

hey guys im new to the website i have a 97 shee running cool head 20 cc domes bored 1 mm over wiseco pistons 35 mm kehin carbs k & n clamp ons dmc exhaust timing advanced about 7 to 8 degrees boyesson reeds reed spacers 20in 8 blade sand paddles. im thinking of going some paddles with more blades but i already sometimes cant take of in 2nd dont know how bad they will hurt me i really dont want to change my gearing i like the way it runs on pavement no one around here can touch me on pavement but in the sand im barely ahead of the 450s with light mods. any ideas

450's are fast, as you're learning. The mods listed might put you at about their level, or maybe just slightly ahead. To truly decimate stockish 450's, you'll have to do some porting... The +7 or 8 timing sounds a little high. With stock cylinders, I'd do +4. And your Keihin 35's might be a bit much with no porting and that pipe--you might be better off with some 28 or 29mm PWK's. IMHO.

if nobody can touch you on pavement but you have a hard time winning in the sand then it sounds like a traction issue. however, i have to agree with erwin, those carbs are too big for what you have done. you wont entirely benifit from them untill you go 4mill. what brand of paddle tires are you running and what size wheel? what gear are you launching in?

btw, welcome to bhq! :cheers:

Yeah those are some big carbs for not even being ported. I run stock carbs with an aggressive dune port and I stomp 99% of 450's in the sand. +4 on the timing is the most I would run IMO.

Get your bike ported and you'll notice a huge huge gain. WILDCARD is a great builder and a site sponsor. :headbang:

What kind of paddles are you running. All paddles are not equal. I would recommend an 8 Paddle Skat Trak Hauler 20x12x8 or a ITP Sand Star. I would also look into a smaller set of carbs. You can pick up a cheap set on ebay. Save your 35mm carbs you will need them later. Look into a good dune port job. Back the time off about 3 degrees.

Smaller carbs will give you back some bottom end. That will help your launch. If you only drag race you would be good with 10 paddle skat trak haulers but if you trail ride, the the sand stars would be better for you. I'm not sure if you timing up that high would be taking away some of your bottom end too.?.?

advanced timing increases bottom end. retarding your timing has the opposite effect. setting your timing high isnt a bad thing, you just need to make sure you have a high enough octane of fuel. not every bike is the same so the amount of timing differs from bike to bike. +7(or 8) might just be the sweet spot for his bike.