1978 Ford Question

jmoore

A Buddy of mine just picked up this '78 F250 4x4 4sp. It is leaking gear oil from the front differential out of the vent hose. We havn't determined if it's just a bad seal where the tube goes on the pumpkin or if it is actually being pushed out the hose from pressure because it leaks from both ends. What's the purpose of having a vent hose there in the first place? If anyone has any knowledge of this and can throw in some input that would be awesome.

Another issue it has is that it will sometimes pop right out of third gear while driving. We are wondering what the hell can be done to fix that also.

well, the vent hose is supposed to run up to a high spot with a wobble cap for going through water and not getting it in there, if it's low, it will puke. i think it goes right up by the radiator. it will also pue even up there, if it's overfilled. you should fix the leaks anyways, but if it's at the axleshafts, there's usually a bearing out. as for the 3rd gear, poping out is pretty much 2 things- either the engine, or cab mounts are worn out, and it's torquing enough to bump the shifter, or the tranny itself needs repair.

well, the vent hose is supposed to run up to a high spot with a wobble cap for going through water and not getting it in there, if it's low, it will puke. i think it goes right up by the radiator. it will also pue even up there, if it's overfilled. you should fix the leaks anyways, but if it's at the axleshafts, there's usually a bearing out. as for the 3rd gear, poping out is pretty much 2 things- either the engine, or cab mounts are worn out, and it's torquing enough to bump the shifter, or the tranny itself needs repair.

Since on that particular truck/tranny combo the tranmission top actually sticks up through the floorboards of the cab and the shift lever comes right out of the middle of the top with no external linkage, I think the problem is inside the tranny. My guess would be that either it has a loose bearing and is letting a shaft move around, or there is to much clearance between the shaft and the gear and/or the synchronizer.

Edited by bansheesandrider

• 2 weeks later...

Since on that particular truck/tranny combo the tranmission top actually sticks up through the floorboards of the cab and the shift lever comes right out of the middle of the top with no external linkage, I think the problem is inside the tranny. My guess would be that either it has a loose bearing and is letting a shaft move around, or there is to much clearance between the shaft and the gear and/or the synchronizer.

yah, i was counting on it being a shift tower, as it's a fullsize ford, not a honda, lol. it can hit the dashboard, etc, and even throw it's self out with a worn out shift tower, from flopin around