Strange Vibration/Singing Noise (with video)

Hi guys!

I recently picked up a 2004 Yamaha Banshee LE with very low hours (approx 30-40). It's basically bone stock (very minor changes like different bumper and polished covers etc), and in very good cosmetic condition (very tight machine, appears the owner is very honest in that it only had 30-40 hours use).

This is the first Banshee I've owned, so I'm learning about these awesome machines every day. Problem is I live in a huge city, and with a busy work schedule lately it's very hard for me to find time to ride it unfortunately!! Closest riding area from my house is about a 1 hour drive.

So far I have only had it out once, and it seemed to behave GREAT with the exception of this strange vibrating/singing noise when I'm on the throttle. Lots of power, idles perfect and if I had earplugs in I wouldn't have even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

A buddy of mine (toomeysheele from these forums) thinks that the sound might be the connecting spring between the two exhausts. Next time I go riding, I'll definitely wrap that spring in cloth or something to see if the sound becomes muffled - but I wanted to pick everyone elses brain as well to find possible causes I can look for next time I'm out riding (again, because I don't get the chance very often I want to make the most out of troubleshooting next time I'm out).

Sorry for the long winded story, but here's a video I took with my helmetcam that captures the sound I'm describing... my helmetcam has horrible sound pickup, but I hope you can at least sort of hear it in this video:

That link should take you to the 1 minute 10 second mark of that video... i'm accelerating over some whoops, and you can hear the "singing" noise intermittently.

Later in that same video (around the 1 minute 45 second mark) I climb a sand hill a couple times, and again, you can hear the strange vibrating sound as i'm accelerating up the hill.

If anyone has a guess as to what might be causing this noise, I would be greatly appreciated! To be honest, the noise won't bother me at all if I find out it's just a spring vibrating or something - I just want to be sure it's not something that requires urgent attention!!

Thanks in advance all!

-Xhum

Check your kickstarter, they're notorious for rattling, either put a little pressure on it with your heel or leave it out and see if it goes away.

Our clutches are also a little noisy esp when they've been sitting for a while as they dry out does the singing/noise fade over time?

Check your kickstarter, they're notorious for rattling, either put a little pressure on it with your heel or leave it out and see if it goes away.

Our clutches are also a little noisy esp when they've been sitting for a while as they dry out does the singing/noise fade over time?

Thanks mate - I'll check the kickstarter. The high pitch of the 'singing' leads me to think it's not the kickstarter 'rattling' but again I'll check anything out to eliminate the possibility!

And no, the noise does not die down the longer I ride it... I was out for approx an hour that day, and it sounded the same at the end of my ride.

Thanks mate - I'll check the kickstarter. The high pitch of the 'singing' leads me to think it's not the kickstarter 'rattling' but again I'll check anything out to eliminate the possibility!

And no, the noise does not die down the longer I ride it... I was out for approx an hour that day, and it sounded the same at the end of my ride.

I may be way off base here but I would normally indicate a consistant singing noise as bearing going bad, my clutch plates rattle/sing on a fairly consistant basis though maybe i'll go make a sound clip and you can compare.

I may be way off base here but I would normally indicate a consistant singing noise as bearing going bad, my clutch plates rattle/sing on a fairly consistant basis though maybe i'll go make a sound clip and you can compare.

The only sound I can think to compare it to, is when you're sitting in the DENTIST CHAIR lol.

Sounds like the high-pitched noise the dentist's drill makes!

Edited by Xhumeka

The only sound I can think to compare it to, is when you're sitting in the DENTIST CHAIR lol.

Sounds like the high-pitched noise the dentist's drill makes!

Of course when I said that neither my kick starter or clutch want to chatter or be noisy lol. Anyways no mine is NOTHING like a dentist drill, you could pull your stator cover and check the sprocket bearing & flywheel bearing for play.. If you want to drain the oil before someone else chimes in and check the crank gear/transmission gears for play you could do that. But *I* suspect a bearing going bad if you find one with a lot of play you could pretty much assume you've found your culprit!

OH does it do it when you're sitting still if you rev the engine!? or only when you're in motion? If not when you're sitting still free revving the motor maybe look at your axle / wheel bearings instead!