Look at this hole in piston

tonyown

Happened at WOT after 6-10 seconds wot... the right piston's near to have a hole too right at the same place...

pistons.jpg

I suspect detonation... I ran 50/50 ratio of 91/110 octane last year with no problem and this year I checked compression and squish... 130 psi both side with a non reliable gauge and .050 squish so I tryed only 91 octane and I think it's what caused that...

Other suggestion? 160 main in 33mm pwks at 40-50 degrees 1000 ft altitude

modifs:

fmf fatty's, vforces 3, noss head with 21 cc cut domes, 795 series pistons, 4mm stroker 5mm long rod, fast wood/trail port, port matched case, +4 timing, 33mm pwks, 6'' K&N style pods

could it be cuz i was Lean on main jet or a air leak? Does it cause hole in piston? cylinder wall looks nice no seizure... piston skirt have some scratches but didnt affect the cylinder

Yep, thats a hole..... :notworthy:

I suspect octane as well on this one. Keep in mind that sometimes 87 octane comes out of the handle, even when 91 is selected. banghead

With 21cc, +4*, +4mm, and cold temp, you are at the edge there. Keep in mind that cold air is dense air, this raising the dynamic compression ratio over what it might be at say 80*F.

I think you would be fine just going back to a 50/50 blend. MIght take a quick peek at that main jet to make sure nothing else is going on but I think you are all over it. :cheers:

B

Just my 2 cents

Looks lean. If you look at both pistons one is clean the other has carbon on it. If it was detonation would not both pistons have some damage (pitting). Looks like it went lean on one cylinder at WOT jetting or a sudden air leak. Bad crank seal or base gasket. I would do a leak down test if you just put pistons back in, to rule out the crank seal.

Happened at WOT after 6-10 seconds wot... the right piston's near to have a hole too right at the same place...

pistons.jpg

I suspect detonation... I ran 50/50 ratio of 91/110 octane last year with no problem and this year I checked compression and squish... 130 psi both side with a non reliable gauge and .050 squish so I tryed only 91 octane and I think it's what caused that...

Other suggestion? 160 main in 33mm pwks at 40-50 degrees 1000 ft altitude

modifs:

fmf fatty's, vforces 3, noss head with 21 cc cut domes, 795 series pistons, 4mm stroker 5mm long rod, fast wood/trail port, port matched case, +4 timing, 33mm pwks, 6'' K&N style pods

could it be cuz i was Lean on main jet or a air leak? Does it cause hole in piston? cylinder wall looks nice no seizure... piston skirt have some scratches but didnt affect the cylinder

looks lean on that side possible air leak carb boot,crank seal, and possibly to hot of spark plugs

What do the domes and plugs look like? It looks more like a 'melt' than a 'break' making me suspect running lean. Detonation might pit the dome or break the plug electrode.

-David

domes looked great and plug too just real dry... right side have a lot of oil probably cuz I started engine after it happened...

But I washed domes in ultrasonic solution and machine and they now look like crap so I must buy new one lol didnt know that ultra sonic would damage aluminium like that

Domes after removal

domes.jpg

dome after ultra sonic wash... they look like crap

dome111.jpg