leaking radiator fluid

damoz

i have a 2008 yamaha banshee tookit for a ride when i left the over flow bottle for the radiator fluid was full after 2 hours of riding it was completly empty and i noticed all green fluid down in the engine bay? ???.....did a pressure test on it and couldnt find any loose hose clamps or anything like that it didnt appear to be leaking anywhere???

what about the level in the radiator? when it's cool, remove the cap, (you have to remove the grill plastics to get to it) and start it up and watch what happens. it should be flowing and not spitting out a bunch. if there is a bunch of air in there, it could've pushed some out of the rezivoir when it heated up.......if it's spitting it out pretty soon, then you have a head gasket leaking, and if it's not flowing, then you have a water pump problem. you should be able to to top it off , close the cap, and fill the rezivior to the line, not completely full, and it will keep itself between the lines. old, fishy, or rotten p#$$y smelling coolant or wrong mixtures, will make it boil over, too.

i took the bike for a bit of a ride today got the temperature up to about (105degress)......then i took the radiator cap off the water was spinning around in the radiator no water was spitting out wen i reved it a tiny amount of water was spittin out but i think it was just from the vibration???......then i turned off the engine filled the overflow bottle because it was half way so i put it bak up to full mark on the bottle left the bike for about half and hour came back and the overflow bottle was back down to half and the engine had not even been running after i filled it and the fluid still got away somewhere????

did you have the radiator cap on when you let it cool? it is supposed to suck some back in as it cools down through the center valve in the cap. did you happen to test the cap, too with the tester? coolant condition/mixture? the seal isn't rotted? how you testing the temp? it would be good to see what temp it is when it spits out while you are ridding...you caould simply be overheating...

no the radiator cap was on when it was cooling, i no the temp because i have a trailtech fitted to the bike......i cannot see any fluid coming out anywhere i went through and checked hoses and clamps nothin appears to be damaged or leaking and it only spits a tiny bit when reving with the radiator cap off when it is idling it doesnt spit anything you can just see the water spinning around .......if it was overheating could it have something to do with the jetting cause currently i have been in the process of trying to get the jetting right because if it is running to lean that would cause it to be overheating??? but when i was riding and it lost all its fluid the temp said it only got up to 130degrees

thanks

if there is no coolant than the computer will read the air temp in the line, trail tech computers are great to check temps when there is fluid, also make sure your small head coolant line and overflow line are not crossed this will cause coolant to dump into your overflow, The tallest point on the radiator is you overflow usually rate off the cap housing. another thing when coolant gets hot and your radiator is filled to the top it will expand pushing small amounts into your overflow bottle.

i checked the lines are not crossed ...but last night when the bike was cooled right down i toped the over flow bottle back up again to the full line and this morningwhen i checked it has gone back down half way again without the bike being hot or running at all...would that mean there would have to be a leak in the over flow bottle or a line or something???

i checked the lines are not crossed ...but last night when the bike was cooled right down i toped the over flow bottle back up again to the full line and this morningwhen i checked it has gone back down half way again without the bike being hot or running at all...would that mean there would have to be a leak in the over flow bottle or a line or something???

are you finding coolant on the ground? if not you have a bad seal, and it could be leaking into the crank case, I dont go off the overflow bottle to check coolant levels look in the radiator. another thing if your finding coolant on the ground, and the levels in your radiator are good than check the way your overflow bottles overflow line runs, It is supposed to run up the frame towards the radiator and up by the handlebars and loop by the bars theres a small tab that the hose runs through and comes about 12inchs back down.

twice i have rode the bike but when i noticed the overflow bottle was empty i stopped the radiator was still full both times but i didnt want to keep riding just incase.....the over flow line runs down into the engine bay then goes up to the radiator?????....would jetting have anything to do with this cause it was running fine before i changed jets????

twice i have rode the bike but when i noticed the overflow bottle was empty i stopped the radiator was still full both times but i didnt want to keep riding just incase.....the over flow line runs down into the engine bay then goes up to the radiator?????....would jetting have anything to do with this cause it was running fine before i changed jets????

no jetts are air/fuel ratio they can cause over heating but not lose of coolant do you get puddles of coolant on the ground? have you checked crankcase oil for coolant?

I'm trying to determine wether or not you have a bad seal and are leaking coolant in the crankscase or if you just have a simple out side leak, but you have to tell me if you are getting puddles of coolant or its just vanishing.

i would pull the rezivoir lines and make sure they are not backwards, or damaged. if it was cold and some bled down, then the only thing lower than the top of the bottle is the little lines themselfs, especially by the airbox where it can get burned by the exhaust, just like your harness can, and will, if you don't have it routed and secured right. it would be pretty hard to mix the coolant and case breather lines, because of length and location, but not impossible, or unheard of.....

i checked and they safe from the exhaust pretty sure the lines arnt crossed since i havnt touched them and it was running normal for a long time before this.....do you have to drain the oil out off the crank case to find out or can you just use the dipstik???? because i used the dipstick and there was no sign of fluid in there...and there is no puddles of fluid it is just vanishing