top end rebuild price

pweezy42

ok guys so i am fianlly ready to rebuild the top end bring it to the local shop and he tells me that for the piston and ring kit, cleanout to make sure no pieces fell into motor, new domes and a hone will be 700 another shop i talked too said between 300-400? wtf thats a big diff. imnow thinking of just having them honed and doing it myself seems like it will be half priced what do u all suggest. this is my first ever bike and first ever rebuild so just wanted to get some opinioons here. also if i do it myself how would i clean it out to make sure no pieces of the rings got into the motor? p.s. i know about hjr and fast but dont have the cash for them to go there right now im in NEPA when i do the port work it will be going out tho.

Did it actually grenade or are you just doing it because it is getting tired? If it is tired then you will probably have to do more than hone it, it will need to be bored. If it grenaded, then there could be enough damage that it will need to be bored and not just honed. depending on how bad it blew up, you may need to split the cases to get all the shrapnel out. You can try to wash out the pieces with solvent or parts cleaner with the engine upside down. If it was just tired, then there shouldn't be any thing to worry about. Get a service manual and you will be able to do it and save money, even with the cost of the manual. You will have to get the cylinders off to see what is going on, and then take them to a good machinist that does motorcycle/ATV work and have them measure them and bore if neccassary.

Did it actually grenade or are you just doing it because it is getting tired? If it is tired then you will probably have to do more than hone it, it will need to be bored. If it grenaded, then there could be enough damage that it will need to be bored and not just honed. depending on how bad it blew up, you may need to split the cases to get all the shrapnel out. You can try to wash out the pieces with solvent or parts cleaner with the engine upside down. If it was just tired, then there shouldn't be any thing to worry about. Get a service manual and you will be able to do it and save money, even with the cost of the manual. You will have to get the cylinders off to see what is going on, and then take them to a good machinist that does motorcycle/ATV work and have them measure them and bore if neccassary.

ok well shee went kaboom one side piston head looks like the moon other side not bad just the one side my freind tells me the ring folded over. and yes i meant to say hone and bore. im just trying to go the cheapest and saeest route and when the local shop said 700 i was like WTF!!! i guess i will split the cases see what is in the inside first ill get the top honed and bored so i can get the weisco kit ordered

It is pretty simple to do your self if it did not blow up. Buy the piston kit with seals and take the pistons and heads to a local machine shop to have it bored to the pistons. This is about $90-100 here. Might be different up there. I would check your clearances on the crank as well. Always good to make sure everything is with in spec while you have it apart. These motors a high reving, so everything needs to be in good working order or you will find your self taking the motor apart again.

If it did blow up, like bansheeandrider said, you can try to clean the peices out of your bottom end out. I would suggest splitting the cases so you dont take the risk of leaving something in there.

ok well shee went kaboom one side piston head looks like the moon other side not bad just the one side my freind tells me the ring folded over. and yes i meant to say hone and bore. im just trying to go the cheapest and saeest route and when the local shop said 700 i was like WTF!!! i guess i will split the cases see what is in the inside first ill get the top honed and bored so i can get the weisco kit ordered

In that case, get a good manual, split the case, and learn how the banshee works. I wouldnt take any chances leaving any metal shavings or bits of metal in the bottom end. Take lots of pics while you break it down so you have something to look at if you get stuck while putting it back together. Local shop can do the Bore.

It is pretty simple to do your self if it did not blow up. Buy the piston kit with seals and take the pistons and heads to a local machine shop to have it bored to the pistons. This is about $90-100 here. Might be different up there. I would check your clearances on the crank as well. Always good to make sure everything is with in spec while you have it apart. These motors a high reving, so everything needs to be in good working order or you will find your self taking the motor apart again.

If it did blow up, like bansheeandrider said, you can try to clean the peices out of your bottom end out. I would suggest splitting the cases so you dont take the risk of leaving something in there.

when i took it to the shop he said everything else looks good i guess there is a hotrod crank in it dont know what size. but yes it did blow so i will see what i can do. does the $400 range seem reasonable i mean for that price even when i look at the numbers dosnt seem like i would be saving that much :shrugani:

when i took it to the shop he said everything else looks good i guess there is a hotrod crank in it dont know what size. but yes it did blow so i will see what i can do. does the $400 range seem reasonable i mean for that price even when i look at the numbers dosnt seem like i would be saving that much :shrugani:

$400 would sound about right if a shop was doing everything and putting it back together. $165 for the piston kit, about $90 for the bore and another $30 for a top end gasket kit.

Just under $300 if you do it yourself. Call Jeff at fast, he can ship the parts to you. Shipping is cheap through him and he will take care of you.

$400 would sound about right if a shop was doing everything and putting it back together. $165 for the piston kit, about $90 for the bore and another $30 for a top end gasket kit.

Just under $300 if you do it yourself. Call Jeff at fast, he can ship the parts to you. Shipping is cheap through him and he will take care of you.

yea looks like imma gonna be doing this myself o boy we will see what happens ill get the bore and hone done this weekend and find out what size piston set i need then ill go at them cases i guess

yea looks like imma gonna be doing this myself o boy we will see what happens ill get the bore and hone done this weekend and find out what size piston set i need then ill go at them cases i guess

You need to buy the pistons first and take them when you get it bored. Not that there is typically issues, but you want to make sure you have the best fit possible and by giving them the pistons.