rivet style mater link

Anyone use rivet stlye master links? I just got a new DID chain and it came with one and a MotionPro chain press. My question is will this press do the mushrooming on the rivets also or will I need to peen them myself? I did some looking on the net and saw it done both was but they were not very good vids and wasn't real clear on this. Here is the chain press that came with the chain. In one vid they only used it to press the peices together then they used a tapered bar to peen the rivets. The other vid it seemed they used the press itself to mushroon the rivets also. Any other tips on these other than not getting them too tight. I have only ever used clip type before.

I have not seen that tool up close, but as long as it does not ave a whole that allows the pin to be pushed out the other side, and the head of the bolt/screw thing isnt a pin to remove the pin from the chain it should flatten the pin out. We used one when we raced that had a pin on one side, and a flat screw on the other.

I have used a riveted master in all my street bike chains and never had one fail. The press does all the work and with the press I use http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0467/ it sets the gap to make sure not to crush the o rings. The tool you are useing is a little smaller but I would assume will do the same job.

Are you sure you want a riveted chain on an off road machine? Do you carry a chain breaker with you when you are riding in case you have to take the chain off, say to tow the bike back if it breaks down? Unless you have some monster HP, I would stay with a standard clip style masterlink.

Yeah I don't know, I was starting to question this last night also. We do carry a chain breaker with us. I am going to order a spare master that will be a clip stlye. I have never had a chain break and have always used cheap chain before. I doubt this DID will have any problems. I mean, if the chain breaks, I am going to have to used the breaker to make a spot for the new link anyhow right? It would be alot easier to replace it with a clip style, but for the initial install wouldn't the rivet be good? Any more suggestions on this?

If something grenades in the tranny, you might be ahead to pull the chain so things are not grinding in there on the way back. Or if your chain comes off for some reason, like the lack of a chain guide or something else, can you get it back on the sprockets without taking it apart? You woiuld be able to get a clip style off with nothing more than a pocketknife or screwdriver and a rock.

You both make good points. I have never needed to remove a chain to be town home either. Doesnt mean it will never happen though. I usually carry enough tools with me to do minor repairs and on a trip we always have tons of tools at camp for pretty much anything. I am going to use the rivet link for the initial install as it is supposed to be a stronger link, and carry a clip type with in case a repair is ever needed, wich I doubt. So, my new question is, since I will need to cut this chain to lenth, should it be cut at full in on the carrier adjustment or back it off a little in case a link does need taken out in the future and still be long enough?

Break downs don't usually occur in camp, usually it is a long ways from camp whn it breaks, and then how do you get it back to camp. I have NEVER seen a clip type master link fail as long as it was installed correctly, they are plenty strong for any Banshee. If you don't get the rivet style installed properly the chance of failure is pretty high. In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, the rivet style masterlink is just an unneccessary complication that you don't need and might cause more problems down the road. Do you want to have to use a chainbreaker to pull your engine or swingarm off? The one time I had to tow my bike back I wished I could have pulled the chain was when I put on a new swingarm without a chain guide. The chain came off and was laying on the axle, rubbing and scratching the chrome. Yes, I had tools back at the truck, but we were in the middle of the dunes with absolutely no tools with us, just a tow strap. And there was no way I was leaving the bike to go get tools. That was eighteen years ago and now I always at least have a knife with me, and I won't run a swingarm that does not have a chain guide on it.