somethings wrong

went riding with a friend from school today because it is spring break and 60 degrees in wisconsin for some reason.... but we had rode for a few hours everything was going fine and it was running strong. We were in a harvested soy bean field and skiming some water spots. all of a sudden i notice it was idling higher. I assumed it was because it was running lean. So I put my tank on reserve. nothing changed. The stupid boost bottle on it had split the rubber on the intake a little. It was like this all last year with absolously no problem. Its high enough up that the bottle covers it. I think that maybe somehow air started getting threw making it run leaner. Im not sure. I got it home...washed it up. then tried starting it. It would either idle high. Or if it idled right, it would stall. Whats really going on?

Check for leaks, then check the carbs, you may have picked up some junk in them. Did you look at the plugs? They are a good indication of what the jetting looks like.

Ditch the boost junk and get new intake boots while your at it if they are cracked.

id love to get a new intake. but i have absolutely $0 to spend. I plan on taking it down to the shed in a bit check the compression...see if anything is bad internally. Defiantly clean the plugs up. It could be possible that i got something in the carb. it was awfully muddy out and i have a k&n filter with no lid, but has the box underneath still. If something did get in...I can understand a high idle if its holding it open a bit. but why stalling? pluged jet?

I just pulled out the carbs and checked them out. Looks clean as hell. Couldn't be better, all the jets are clear and looks great. replaced both spark plugs and then checked compression. both cylinders are at 120psi. All i can think is that it would be a cracked reed valve. when idleing, it idles high, the left cylinder doesnt fire. the right one is fine. when you put your hand over the left exhaust it doesn't seem to be firing and it actually sucks on your hand like a vacuum cleaner. when you open the throttle more then both cylinders fire fine.

Would this be from a cracked reed?

It only takes a couple minutes to check the reeds so I would pull it off and take a peek at it. I am in the same boat as you with the boost bottle it ripped my intake boot really bad but I couldn't afford to replace it so I sealed it up with gorilla glue and when it dried I covered it with high temperature silicone for moisture protection. It has worked just fine since last April and I've been riding it a lot at the dunes.

It only takes a couple minutes to check the reeds so I would pull it off and take a peek at it. I am in the same boat as you with the boost bottle it ripped my intake boot really bad but I couldn't afford to replace it so I sealed it up with gorilla glue and when it dried I covered it with high temperature silicone for moisture protection. It has worked just fine since last April and I've been riding it a lot at the dunes.

yeah, i just got back from the shed. a piece of the reed is broken off. and for the intake i was thinking of doing that actually. I was thinking super glue. What is a brand of that high temp silicone? Where can i find that...that seems like a good idea. I guess my biggest concern is weather or not the reed when it broke off fell into the case or up in the cylinder. I couldn't find the piece and i cant get it with a magnet obviously because it isn't metal. Would that cause any damage to the engine? Or is it just so delicate that it wouldn't bother anything bad? I really would like to get back to riding, i only have this week then its back to school so splitting the case really isn't going to make me to happy.

Reeds will run through the engine without hurting anything usually. Ditch that boost bottle, it is doing nothing for you except damaging your intake boots. And if your intake boots are cracked, you have an air leak, and it needs to be repaired ASAP. You can get stock boots for around 25 bucks from CheapCycleParts.com. Get on the web and check them, or Apache Motorcycles in Arizona or Bike Bandit.com. Apache used to be Yamaha Suzuki of Arizona and they were about the cheapest place I could find for OEM parts.