weak spark?

cheeta

i got no spark with a sparkplug but when i stick a screwdriver in the boot and put it by the head i get spark? any one know whats wrong? i tried multiple sparkplugs and none worked

i tested the wire coming off the coil and its getting around 16v-19v

Edited by cheeta

have you tried replacing the plug caps and ohming the coil? then ohm the harness, stator, and check all grounds. you mean the 2 spade connectors on the harness side is getting 16-19v?

no its getting 16-19v at the end of the coil wire where the cap screws on. i already got new caps. i know it seems impossible??(to me anyways) but if i stick a screwdriver in the sparkplug cap and put the screwdriver by the head it will spark but if i put a sparkplug in there and put it on the same spot on the head(so i know its grounded) it will not spark. i tried the 2 plugs i had in my bike and i went out and bought 2 new ones but still no spark but i can still get spark with the screwdriver. i tried my spare wiring harness but still the same thing. i dont really know how th use the ohm meter but every thing was close to what it should be. i have given up and havn't looked at my bike for 2 days now and i want to burn it to the ground banghead

Edited by cheeta

16 volts on the plug wire seems weak. Make sure the frame tabs where the coil bolts on have bare metal, it is a ground for the coil. Get a manual so you know how to ohm out the stator, coil,etc. Some manuals say to check the secondary coil resistance by connecting to the plug wire and the ground terminal, on a Banshee coil this is wrong, you need to connect one lead from the meter to each plug wire to check secondary resistance on a Banshee coil. If all the resistances check out and the harness is OK, then you should borrow a CDI box from a buddy and see if that makes a difference. Also, check the pickup coil gap on the stator- it should be .017 inches, about the thicness of a business card or matchbook, between the pickup coil and the bumps on the flywheel, check it at both bumps. One other thing it coild be is the magnets in the flywheel. Hope this helps.

well, i don't think you can even measure spark voltage with 95% of meters out there, and even if that was right, you need at least 10,000 volts to make a plug fire. read through the tech documents on thissite, they are stickied in this section, and availiable from the homepage. you can also use a sparkplug box to set the gap on the flywheel. i'm leaning twards a bad coil, because that's about the voltage you would see going into the coil, but it could possibly be the stator or flywheel, too.