Crank Condition. What do you guys think?

Hey fellas. I have finally gotten around to tearing apart the engine on my 87 project that I picked up about a month ago. I picked the Shee up mostly in boxes for $500. I have the cases taken apart and am basically checking everything out in the engine and replacing what I need to. The kid I bought the bike off bought it the same way I did and just never got around to doing anything with it. He said that the crank was either new or rebuilt when he bought the bike and was never ran. Well when you check out the picture, you can tell that it was obviously not oiled before being put in storage for 5 years. My question is do you think that the rough finish will hurt the crank. I pulled it, cleaned it the best I could with steel wool, oiled it, cleaned it again blew it out with compressed air, oiled it, etc. The bearings are all tight and the crank seems to roll nice and smooth. I really don't want to buy another crank because I am on a super tight budget, but I also don't want to put this thing back together and have it blow. Please let me know what you think.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/novaman_69/022210005.jpg

Thanks

That looks bad. I almost jumped when the pic came up. Man looks like it's been under water. Hopefully it looks worse in the pic than it really is? Man I wouldn't run that. It would vibrate itself to pieces if it ran that long. I'd sent ot to somebody and see if it can be cleaned up. Maybe blasted while it's apart. I've got a welded stocker I'd sell ya cheap that would be a better start than that.

Ok guys here is another picture. I got the wire brush after her and it cleaned up pretty decent. It honestly was not as bad as it looked in the first picture. It was mostly surface rust that made it look like a boat anchor. haha There is minimal to no pitting or gouges in the metal, like I said just flat out ugly to look at. haha

Try this one on for size.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/novaman_69/022210009.jpg

Edited by bansheeman_05

If there's rust on the surface, rest assured other areas like bearings or bearing surfaces are rusted or pitted.

If it was a bit, stroker crank I'd try to save it.

Stock cranks are a dime a dozen...and you already got a bangin' deal on the motor.

Pick up a good stock crank that is trued and welded...or a good stocker and have it welded.

I would hang that on the wall in the garage as a show piece from the Titanic that you've rescued...it's not worth running it IMO.

That looks bad. I almost jumped when the pic came up. Man looks like it's been under water. Hopefully it looks worse in the pic than it really is? Man I wouldn't run that. It would vibrate itself to pieces if it ran that long. I'd sent ot to somebody and see if it can be cleaned up. Maybe blasted while it's apart. I've got a welded stocker I'd sell ya cheap that would be a better start than that.

Thanks for the input Dave. Check out the new pic and see what you think. I may be interested in the welded stocker for the right price though. What were you thinking? Like I said I am unfortunately on a tight Banshee budget. haha

Yep...I saw the cleaned up picture. I still see rust on the bearing and all over the webs. Pitch it.

I know you're on a budget...we all are...but if you think a used crank costs a few bucks now, let that rusty boat anchor lock up in a motor.

That'll be expensive...!!

Obviously no one can spend your money but you, but my old friend always says...

You can go broke saving money!

Yep...I saw the cleaned up picture. I still see rust on the bearing and all over the webs. Pitch it.

I know you're on a budget...we all are...but if you think a used crank costs a few bucks now, let that rusty boat anchor lock up in a motor.

That'll be expensive...!!

Obviously no one can spend your money but you, but my old friend always says...

You can go broke saving money!

haha.. amen to that...I have decided to hang er up on the wall and go with a fresh one...Thanks for all the input and advice. I figured I would get this response posting that nasty ass picture, and deep down I knew what I needed to do with it...but yeah thanks again.

Hit up Kevin @ HJR or Jeff @ FAST.

I'm sure they take plenty of stock motors and put 4 mil strokers in them...leaving a left over stock crank.

Either one can true and weld a stocker for you....

I'm sure a fellow member having a 4 mil built would like to help out a fellow HQer while not having to go through selling a crank on forums, ebay or craigslist...