Difficulty starting!

I just traded for a 2001 Banshee. The guy didn't know too much about it as he had got it on a trade. It has Toomey T5 exhaust, Pro Design cool head, V Force reeds and a spacer is what I know of. He said it sat for 4 months and was very hard to start but if you pulled it that it would start. Well today I drained what little gas was in the tank and put fresh gas in it. Kicked it forever and wouldn't start. It did finally start and was running for short amount of time and then it died. I continued messing with it until I gave up and had the wife pull me down the road. I got it to start and it ran great but if you tried to sit and let it idle it would die out. It died and wouldnt start again so I coasted down the hill and it started again no prob. Later on I went out and it started first kick but you can't let it idle or it will die out. Is this just needing a ring job? I was thinking about ordering a Wiseco piston and top end kit while i'm at it. Never done a 2 stroke but I understand it's easy. I have put a cam and piston in a 660 Raptor before so I figure should be pretty easy. I have a manual also. Guess it just doesn't have enough compression to fire and stay going at idle?

I just traded for a 2001 Banshee. The guy didn't know too much about it as he had got it on a trade. It has Toomey T5 exhaust, Pro Design cool head, V Force reeds and a spacer is what I know of. He said it sat for 4 months and was very hard to start but if you pulled it that it would start. Well today I drained what little gas was in the tank and put fresh gas in it. Kicked it forever and wouldn't start. It did finally start and was running for short amount of time and then it died. I continued messing with it until I gave up and had the wife pull me down the road. I got it to start and it ran great but if you tried to sit and let it idle it would die out. It died and wouldnt start again so I coasted down the hill and it started again no prob. Later on I went out and it started first kick but you can't let it idle or it will die out. Is this just needing a ring job? I was thinking about ordering a Wiseco piston and top end kit while i'm at it. Never done a 2 stroke but I understand it's easy. I have put a cam and piston in a 660 Raptor before so I figure should be pretty easy. I have a manual also. Guess it just doesn't have enough compression to fire and stay going at idle?

i would say.. read your book.. then have ago at the carbs.. cleaning them out and clearing the jets till there as good as new

then id say your bike will start and idle

but it wouldnt help to compression test your bike to see where its at.

:confused:

Put some new spark plugs in it

Really think it's simple as carb? I will run a comp. test also like you said. Do I need a adapter or anything different to run the test on the Shee. As far as thread and size of plug hole being different compared to cars if you understand what i'm asking?

Really think it's simple as carb? I will run a comp. test also like you said. Do I need a adapter or anything different to run the test on the Shee. As far as thread and size of plug hole being different compared to cars if you understand what i'm asking?

same size plugs as a car :)

yeh i would say 90% chance its the carbs..

give them a real good going over

but as said b4 try new plugs

i brought an 02 shee here in australia for $1500.. that was a steel.. prob like picking 1 in the US for 500ish

the guy said it wont even start its fucked..

it had been sitting for months .. i did what u have done aswell as drained some fuel through the carbs.. and it did just what yours is doing... wouldnt start or if you got it started it would die and wouldnt idle.. cleaned the carbs.. and its running great!! and has been for months.. now is the gfs shee :)

Edited by GNR101

what you have to look for on the tester is that the thread length is the same as the spark plug itself, and that it has the shrade valve in the verry tip, or it will be inacurate. any other performance querks, like sputtering, hesitation, or popping/misfire?

what you have to look for on the tester is that the thread length is the same as the spark plug itself, and that it has the shrade valve in the verry tip, or it will be inacurate. any other performance querks, like sputtering, hesitation, or popping/misfire?

Good deal. I will definitely test the cylinders and then give carb a thorough going over. Once it is running besides dying at idle it seems to have no other problems through the power band. It's pretty cold here in Ohio too so that is gonna contribute to the starting. I had some Benol leftover from my last SHEE and mixed it 32:1 w/93 octane.

The guy wanted $1800 for the quad. I traded a pool table and nice pool cue for it straight up. Has billet side cover, nice nerfs, Billet grill, and the other performance mods I listed. I had like $1900 in the table and cue but got a year or so use out of it. I was gonna sell the table for $1000 so I think I did pretty well. I do have to check out the steering though as it's a little quirky. Possible steering stem bendage. No biggy though. I'll get some pics up when I can. I'll keep ya posted too on what I find out. Thx. Mike

did u get it started????

I used Benol because that is what I had left over. What do you recommend for cold weather. I haven't started it lately but it did start the other day. Like I said it screams witn no problems throughout entire powerband. Just the starting issue. Haven't had time to run compression check either. Im off work wednesday and thursday so i'll know more then. I'm a Juvenile Correction's Officer and work alot of 16hr shifts so that's my only time to do anything. Got to find my Banshee manual also. If the pilot jet isn't a 27.5 should I swap that out also?

well, what oils are available? most commonly, you will have to run 927 with the cold weather additive

Well haven't had time to run compression test and stuff yet. I had a few minutes so I decided to kick it a few times and see how Shee responded. Kicked it a few times and didn't fire. Well I decided to hold throttle wide open and give it a kick. It started right up, just had to feather the throttle to keep it going to warm it up. It still will not idle if you let off the gas but it runs fine throughout everywhere else. Starting to think the pilot jet clogged?

• 1 month later...

It does smoke. It doesn't have the TORS on it. Haven't checked the spark yet. Haven't had alot of time.

Well had some time to play with the Shee today. Got 2 new plugs and got some Klotz Super Technoplate I think it was. I decided to mix it at 40:1 instead of 32:1. I checked and gas is getting to the carbs and there is spark at both plugs. Choked it and first kick it fired but did not stay running then had to keep kicking and kicking. If I give it gas while kicking it starts. Doesn't really smoke now and runs fine all except when you let off the gas it will die. You have to keep revving it even while going down the road if you don't keep it revved it will die. The plug isn't oily like before. I am convinced the pilot jet has to be plugged. I tried to check compression the other day but the gauge I have, the hose and end is hard to get into the head. The frame is in the way. It screams, it's just difficult to start and won't idle. I had posted a new thread about the idle speed screws. Mine doesn't have any that I can see. I looked in my manual and it looks as if it were apart of the TORS.