FMF fatty w/ TC2 rubbing frame

Mast372MIND

Hey guys,

I was putting on my new fmf fattys w/ tc2 silencers yesterday when I realized they were still contacting the frame. It happens on the left side (when sitting on the bike) right behind where the silencer stabs into the stinger. The silencer tube snakes up in around the airbox, then just befor it inserts into the stinger portion of the pipe, it contacts the frame. I've tried to manipulate the pipe and silencer around to make it not touch but haven't found a way that gives it clearance. The other side is fine (about 1 cm of gap between frame). Has anyone else had these troubles? What should I do to get it off the frame? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

whats the big deal??? Run it

Haha, true, I like your attitude about it. Do you think it would be okay to just ride it. I just don't know if the heat might stress the frame??? In the install instructions it says that it should not be contacting the frame, so that's what's making me worry about it. I thought about just wrapping in it a shop rag and calling it a day, but that's just kind of a "southern engineering" fix to the problem.

there is a way to manipulate it.......how is the clearance at the front of the pipe? you can shim the mount either at the frame or pipe to move it in or out. you can also shim the stinger mounts if they are pushing on it a little.........it will rub a hole in it in no time.....especially with any dust or dirt.....or, you can redneck it with a piece of heater hose.....

there is a way to manipulate it.......how is the clearance at the front of the pipe? you can shim the mount either at the frame or pipe to move it in or out. you can also shim the stinger mounts if they are pushing on it a little.........it will rub a hole in it in no time.....especially with any dust or dirt.....or, you can redneck it with a piece of heater hose.....

I had to go out of town for the week so I wanted a quick fix. What I ended up doing for a temporary fix was just cutting one of the two unused rubber exhaust collars in half and wedging it between the silencer tube and the frame. It's a tight fit so I don't think it will fall out before I get a chance to mess with it again. I figured it would provide mechanical and heat isolation between the frame and the silencer tube, plus you cant see it under the plastic!

AKheathen -- Think that sounds alright??? Is that similar to what you had in mind when you were referring to with the heater hose???

Hell, if it holds up I might end up just leaving it. I still need to rejet the carbs, so thats the first thing on my list to do when I get back...

fully agree with Akh; if you insist on isolating the exhaust with rubber, then rather put the rubber on the frame.

I'm pretty sure with a bit of tweaking and shimming or bending a tab or hanger you'll get it right.

Here are my fatty's, as you can see, also pretty close on the left side.

IMGP2516.jpg

************* UPDATE:

Everything is good now... no more tubes rubing the frame. I played around trying to get it to line up good, but couldn't get any results. I ended up just pulling on the silencer a bit (gently, but with some effort) and tweeking the pipe where it was contacting the frame (well actually where it was contacting the rubber exhaust collar). After just a few tugs it had put a little more bend into the silencer tubes and I now have about 1/8-3/16" clearence. No creases in the pipe or anything like that, just slightly increased the bend angle.

Thanks for the help.