Bad Stator?

ok so im thinking my starting problem could possibly be linked to my strator .... i had a friend kick the bike over for me th other day and noticed soemthing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUqSF71y-FQ

i noticed it took it a few kicks to get the head lights to glow and that they were not very bright... or is this about how they should be? and also it seems like when the bike wont start its just not getting spark and if i doest it seems weak..

heres a vid of the bike running.... seems to run great untill u kill it then it wont start for anything....

Edited by theoriginal87

You test ALL your electrical yet? Go through ALL your wiring (kill switch, wires, cut the key switch out anyways) and clean the grounds? Borrow a buddy's CDI yet and try it?

Got a clymers? If not, there $30 shipped on ebay.

If you haven't read this read it 2-3 times.. http://www.bansheehq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=28

HAHA even in your you tube the title and description says strator, same as here..good times :cheers:

You test ALL your electrical yet? Go through all your wiring and clean the grounds? Borrow a buddy's CDI yet and try it?

Got a clymers? If not, there $30 shipped on ebay.

If you haven't read this read it 2-3 times.. http://www.bansheehq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=28

HAHA even in your you tube the title and description says strator, same as here..good times :cheers:

no i wish i could test my electrical :( but unfortunantly i cant get an electrical tester that will work because im stuck out at my house because of the snow.... so im kinda going stur crazy and really want to figure out wats wrong with my shee... but yes i have clymers and unfortunantly my friend that had a shee is no longer in town and i dont know anybody else who has one... lol now all of my friends have utility quads cept for one he has a blaster :P .... but i just recently went through and completely redid the harness so i know the wiring is good, but i guess im just gonna have to wait and test the resistance when i can get a tester..... its just the snow looks like so much fun! lol well thanks i guess ill just have to wait it out....

11095-fender_stratocaster.jpg

StratoRcaster

The coils on the stator for headlights are not the same as those for your ignition. You can have no headlight coil and the bike could still run fine. So your analysis is not necessarily meaningful.

Can't say that it is NOT the stator, but other things that will affect ignition electronically is your coil or your CDI, or your plugs. It could be as simple as not having the gap adjusted correctly on your pickup coil that is attached to the stator. It could even be your flywheel (mine went bad last weekend the magnets let loose on the inside of my Ricky Stator flywheel).

ok so im thinking my starting problem could possibly be linked to my strator .... i had a friend kick the bike over for me th other day and noticed soemthing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUqSF71y-FQ

i noticed it took it a few kicks to get the head lights to glow and that they were not very bright... or is this about how they should be? and also it seems like when the bike wont start its just not getting spark and if i doest it seems weak..

heres a vid of the bike running.... seems to run great untill u kill it then it wont start for anything....

whats she look like under the cover? ckeck the gap on the pickup coil,clean it see if makes uh diffrence.

Will it start if you tow it- I had a Rick's Electrics CDI box fail on me. I could start it if I towed it or I could kick start it if it was warm, eventually I could only get it to start by towing it. I checked out everything with a meter and determined it was a bad CDI, swapped it with another and it fired right up. Called Rick's, sent it back to them and they did replace it since it was less thasn 3 months old, even though there was no warranty on it. I had bought it while I was at St. Anthony's Dunes because it was the only thing that I could get before we left. Because of thie expierence and what I have heard on here I would only recomend a OEM Yamaha stator,CDI, or flywheel, posssibly a Dyna FS cdi. I firmly believe you get what you pay for when it comes to electrical stuff.

i took the stator cover off a few weeks ago and everything looked like it was in great shape... but like you all said it doesnt mean it still works right... im going to pull the cover off and check the pickup gap and inspect everything again and as for the wiring i have looked it over so many times its sickening, which just means its time to actually test it... for the coil though i just took that off recently and took it all apart and cleaned the connections and cut the wire back further to a fresher part and it started right up but once again i killed it and nothing again after i killed it... but i looks like it had been replaced before because it has 1999 banshee written on it... but at this point it looks like its just time to sit down and test everything <_<

Will it start if you tow it- I had a Rick's Electrics CDI box fail on me. I could start it if I towed it or I could kick start it if it was warm, eventually I could only get it to start by towing it. I checked out everything with a meter and determined it was a bad CDI, swapped it with another and it fired right up. Called Rick's, sent it back to them and they did replace it since it was less thasn 3 months old, even though there was no warranty on it. I had bought it while I was at St. Anthony's Dunes because it was the only thing that I could get before we left. Because of thie expierence and what I have heard on here I would only recomend a OEM Yamaha stator,CDI, or flywheel, posssibly a Dyna FS cdi. I firmly believe you get what you pay for when it comes to electrical stuff.

this seems really similar to my problem... but basically the bike will start when its completly cold and hasnt been ridden and you can go and ride it around long as u like but once u kill it it wont start again ( although sometimes it will start again it can be very inconsistant) but if the bike wont start after it has been ridden u can push start it and it will run

here's a thaught,,,,are you sure you're not running rich on the pilot and needle? if it starts fine cold, and not hot, that could be your prob....give it just a little throttle, and it would start.....but not easy..

i had the same thought except the bike has pretty much had this problem since i got it and the guy i got it from had the thing running so lean it was scary.. he had 250 mains, stock pilots, and super long aftermarket needles in it.... but as for right now i have it at 290 mains, 27.5 pilots, needle clip one leaner, and air screws 1.5 turns out...