Banshee Porting Mods

drlguy

I am getting ready to do some motor work on my original 02 Banshee topend and am wondering what will give me the best bang for the buck without seriously limiting what I can do to the motor in the future. We mainly ride trails, silts, and do some hill climbing. The bike runs great but I know I have a good amount of hours on the original pistons and rings. With 20cc domes I am getting a very even compression measurement of 145psi.

I have been doing some research on porting work and there are a few porting options out there that seem to suit my riding. Trinity offers a mx port that will allow me to continue to use the current setup minus the carb needles and jets. They told me I will get 10 hp out of a port job and the work should come in under $875. FAST offers a woods port for $250 but I will need to change to a different carb setup...Then I start to look at stroker cranks and that changes the whole game. If I go ahead with a mx port and then later decide to stroke is my porting going to be correct. I am also concerned with my stock cluch...anyone had luck throwing that much power into one?

The bike runs strong now and I think it is producing about 55hp. Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Current motor mods include:

Toomey T5 pipe kit

NOS coolhead with 20cc Domes

V force Reeds

+4 Timing, Aluminum Impeller

Torrs Elimination.

All of my buddies are riding 450s and 700s and they are slowly starting to catch up....

post-33585-12590266089321_thumb.jpg

If you are considering going stroker you mise well do it now, in a short period of time after your build you will want to go to a 4mil. As far as wether or not it can be re-ported for the stroker... In most cases no, but it depends on how agressive the port is. The first MX motor I built I had a local builder port and he ported it very conservatively, so when I decided I wanted to go 4mil. Brandon at Wildcard Racing was able to do a re-port on it. Most of the time this wont happen though and you'll have to get a new set of jugs for a stroker build. I would say with your current mods your looking more like 45HP give or take a couple. I say this because with my fully built MX port motor I was estimated at about 50-55HP give or take a couple HP. I think You will ultimately be most happy with a fully built 4mil. with an MX port or even mild dune port. Call different builders and talk to them about what you want, then pick the one your most comfortable with. Brandon at Wildcard Racing, Jeff at F.A.S.T. and Kevin at Herr Juggs Racing are 3 well known builders I have done business with and would recomend all 3, but only you can choose who your most comfortable with.

I also bet jeffs work will yeild more than 10horse

Yeah, I am going to get a hold of him and see what he suggest. Will the port greatly affect the way the current power band comes on? I am having a lot of trouble getting the power to the ground as it is... Stock clutch?