air mixture

97_banshee

how many time do you guys have your screws turned out?.. ive got stock cylinder with a drag port.... and shearer in frames... K&n filter with 34 mm kehin carbs.. running 155 mains and 48 pilots... it dont seem to want to wrap up... it boggs big time up top.. doesnt even have the power to pull the front tires off the ground.. its got plenty of compression

• 1 month later...

how many time do you guys have your screws turned out?.. ive got stock cylinder with a drag port.... and shearer in frames... K&n filter with 34 mm kehin carbs.. running 155 mains and 48 pilots... it dont seem to want to wrap up... it boggs big time up top.. doesnt even have the power to pull the front tires off the ground.. its got plenty of compression

Go to the Keihin website...they have a comprehensive tuning guide that will answer your Q's.

Sounds to me like more than your air screw is messed up. Find out your elevation. I ran a similar setup and ended up with 150 mains and only a 40 pilot. If its bogging towards the lower rpms,i would try a 45 or 42 pilot and see if that makes it better,and if that doesnt help try a 50 or 52.

For the pilot try only turning your air screw out 1/4 turn,then try it at like 4 turns out. If it runs better at 1/4 then your pilot is lean and you need to go up,if it runs better at 4 then your pilot is rich and you need to go down.

For the main just go up or down a size and see if it gets better or worse. At this point once you get close,and realize if you need to go leaner or richer its pretty much trial and error

Edited by Burt Reynolds

throttle positon is closed to 1/8 open the pilot jet and air screw are used. 1/4-3/4 throttle the needle is used. 3/4- full throttle the main jet is used. Might be your electrical. I would check all your wiring, check the coil and stator, check for good grounds. electrical problems do funny things. If you cant figure it out, try and get it on the dyno if you have access. a Dyno is a great tunning tool . Hope that helps.