Shearer or CPI?

bansheesa

I'm battling to choose between the 2. I will base my decision on what you guys have posted here. If you had the following (Maybe you do), which one will you choose?

65mm STD stroke cub, 33mm PWK's (Soon to be upgraded to 35mm PWK's), VF3's, +7 timing, 20cc domes @ 1.1mm squish and running race gas. Would it be CPI or Shearer?

Thanks guys

wat type of riding do you do? drag? dune? im doubting any trail riding but either way we r going to need to know a few more things? oof or inframes?? i heard shearers were all topend and no lowend so would prolly ber better for hillshooting and drag. i think CPIs come on a lil sooner and as far as wat makes more all out power im not really sure. someone will chime in and let you know

I have a 4mm Dune ported banshee that I ride on the trails and gravel pits and I love the sound and power of the Shearers. I have heard CPI's make more mid range power but I much prefer the look of the Shearers.

I have ran both on my 421 Cheetah!! I love the shearers, and will never buy another set of CPI's. Both are good pipes, but there was honestly no comparison on my cheetah, Shearer hands down!! Oh and as far as not liking the Cub, ride a cheetah and you will have the best of both worlds. Dont ride one, unless you really intend on buying one, becasue once you feel the way they make power, there will be no turning back!! LOL Just my .02!! best of luck!!

Z

I have ran both on my 421 Cheetah!! I love the shearers, and will never buy another set of CPI's. Both are good pipes, but there was honestly no comparison on my cheetah, Shearer hands down!! Oh and as far as not liking the Cub, ride a cheetah and you will have the best of both worlds. Dont ride one, unless you really intend on buying one, becasue once you feel the way they make power, there will be no turning back!! LOL Just my .02!! best of luck!!

Z

You have peaked my curiosity, could you describe the power you are talking about?

Thanks.

He is not necessarily looking for the pipe that makes the most power you guys. He is looking for something that has usable power for how he rides. As far as I know, Shearers arent geared to be a play pipe by any means. As far as I know, they are a top end pipe, thats why they pull harder than cpi's.

Dajoegr we need your input.

He is not necessarily looking for the pipe that makes the most power you guys. He is looking for something that has usable power for how he rides. As far as I know, Shearers arent geared to be a play pipe by any means. As far as I know, they are a top end pipe, thats why they pull harder than cpi's.

Dajoegr we need your input.

That is exactly what I want. I want something that starts pulling from mid-top without jeopardising the cub power. I do not mind loosing 2 or so HP as long as the power is not all the way on the top.

That is exactly what I want. I want something that starts pulling from mid-top without jeopardising the cub power. I do not mind loosing 2 or so HP as long as the power is not all the way on the top.

I had shearers on my 421 on gas in a play bike, and i really wanted to try some cpi's For a play bike im thinking cpis would have been the ticket. The shearers are either off or on, but so is the cub, so i cant say first hand. I just see most of the play guys with cpis and if it were me i think id leave the 33s. I bet you will gain minimum on top but lose on the bottom

CPIs all the way. They are a more forgiving pipe. If he was looking for max HP which he clearly said he isn't....I'd say Shearer.

I've run T5s (yes, and stock carbs on my 4 mil cub while waiting for....) RDZ inframes (copy of shearers) on my 4 mil cub.

On my 10 mil, I've run Shearer hand coned, CPI and stamped Shearer....

The CPI is a work horse pipe. Little tough getting to the plugs and fuel shut off on CPIs inframe pipe, but nothing like those junk Rockets.

Since it's a play bike, CPI. You are probably missing out on 2-4 HP peak vs. using Shearers, but smoother and quicker power output of the CPIs would serve you better...

If you want to get more power out of that cub, crank on the timing, keep the cranking compression around 175 to 185 and run full race fuel (110 octane).

On my 4 mil cub, I kept it on race fuel, 11 or 12 degrees of timing, 185PSI and it ripped along very good.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a cub. It'll never be a stocker or Cheetah cylinder....but it was pretty stout mid to the top.