Dyna Teck cdi box and a timing plate?

cummings0309

Can you run both?? I assumed that when I installed my Dyna Teck I would put the plate on zero. I am hearing both ways. Some say to advance the plate and some say to leave it on zero. My mods are in my sig. Also I was told I was running the wrong spark plugs with the cdi. I am currently running B9EGV's. I havent had any trouble in the 3 years i have had the box. I was told to run BR8ES. Whats the difference? Thanks in advance

You should run a Resistor plug with the Dyna.

A BR8ES is perfectly fine.

You can run both. The plate advanced the timing statically across the entire RPM range, whereas the Dyna give you the increased timing for lower RPMs, but starts retarding up in the top...which gives you more RPMs and more overrrev.

My advice, since you got the Dyna...is to leave the plate at 0, take the bike to a dyno and purchase the cable and software to create a custom curve for your motor.

Without doing that...in my opinion, I'd just use the plate. (I had a dyna and currently still run a plate) Without making a curve that works for your particular setup...I think it's wasted money.

I just saw on cascades site that they had bikes with dyna teck cdi boxes and also advanced the timing. I talked to a guy named Chris and he said for my setup to do both and I thought I would see what you guys thought. Guess I will just have to play with it. It won't hurt anything will it?

I just saw on cascades site that they had bikes with dyna teck cdi boxes and also advanced the timing. I talked to a guy named Chris and he said for my setup to do both and I thought I would see what you guys thought. Guess I will just have to play with it. It won't hurt anything will it?

Chris is a smart guy, I am suprised he told you to do that......... I suspect he is assuming you are going to use Dyna with it's standard curves, and will not alter the programming yourself.

The only way to change the base timing without reprogramming is with the plate.