studs

VegasJeff

anybody have advice on what head studs to use on the cub cyl? I've built a few cub motors and everytime the company I buy the stuff from always says the stock length will work and it never does.just wondering what you guys use? thanks Jeff.

The stock configuration require (2) long studs in the front and (8) short studs around the bore. Thats how I have them on my cub. You could install all (10) of the longer studs and not use the short ones at all.

The longer studs have less thread depth then the short studs though, so they would probably "shank" out before they reached the bottom of the tapped holes in the cylinder, because the 8 tapped holes around the bores aren't counter bored for clearance like the 2 front ones are.

So the diameter between the threads on the longer studs, would need to be slighty turned down smaller then the major dia of the thread for clearance into the cylinder.

You don't need a lathe either, twisting them on a belt sander for a few sec's would work fine. Would only need to remove about .01 of material.

I guess I'm the only one uncomfortable with three threads showing after the the washer has been applied. thanks for you responses.

hey knievel, that was some good hill climbing saturday. as you reached the top i was secretly imagining you flipping down the hill in a ball of flames and cactus needles. i took your advice and called vitos this morning. their head bolts are indeed 1/4 inch longer than stock. these will work perfect. the kit is ordered. be at my house saturday, bring donuts. the cub build must begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!