Can i beat him?

I am going to go with the Banshee over the DS. When I first got my shee my buddy bought a DS. Both bone stock except I put a one tooth bigger front sprocket on mine. We are both real good at drag racing and I beat him every time we raced.

I do like the DS though its rides like a cadilac and well its just fun to ride. My brother has a 450R Honda I believe an 04 and he could beat my stock shee in a drag race almost everytime. No matter what I did he could get me off the line about 2 ft and I would stay there right beside him until he toped out then I would pass him and keep going. He as a full custom build exhaust for drag racing, eldabrock carb, cams, hoosiers and mine bone stock. If I would of went with a stock front sprocket or tooth smaller Im pretty sure I wouldnt have a problem with him.

Then again theres this weird thing of how every motor is different, some are just fast out of the box and some are just slow even when you start bolting stuff on. My brother has out ran a ton of fast shees on his 450 with very experienced riders. Maybe my shee was just fast out of the box, or was, its in a million pieces now.

The 04 and 05 450Rs were turds. Starting with 06 they got the read dirt bike motor, not a muted down dog like the first two years.

My buddy had a strong running 04 with a 480 kit. A piped and jetted 06 would beat him most of the time in a straight line drag race at a make shift 500 foot track and at the dunes.

If your brother put those mods on a newer bike, (newer Honda) it would be a TOTALLY different story...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That shit was established some post back, rider experince is one of the biggest parts.

As well as rider weight...in addition to bike weight.

35 to 50 lbs is a tenth or so on a 300 foot track.

A banshee is 100lbs lighter...I actually looked it up. Claimed dry weight from the factory is 386 compared to 490 on the DS.

That is so true.

But pretty sure one of these guys might have a argument for that too. LOL.

Undeniable...:)

All I ride is 300 feet. I'm 250. I turn consistent 4.2s.

Two of my buddies are very good riders.

One is 200ish, 4.0s and the occasional 4.1, the other is 165ish...3.9s and a 4.0.

I put guys on my bike 125 to 175 lbs...they easily turn 2-3 tenths faster than me....over and over.

And that's without the bike even setup for them (gearing, tire pressure, less fuel) etc.

This is pointless. I feel like im arguing with a wall.

All I'm going to say, is that if the banshee can get traction somewhere, and the riders are equal, a bolt-on banshee will beat a piped DS650. All there is to it. As you said, the DS is 490lbs dry! Wet weight is well over 500. A Banshee with aftermarket pipes is around 376 dry (Yes look it up. Most aftermarket pipes are about a 10-15lb weight savings over the stock steel snakes) Plus I have a J-arm banshee which is even lighter.. Not sure by how much.

Plus a bolt on shee is right up there with horsepower compared to the DS. Both around the 45 range.

And to the torque guy, by different torque, I mean the way it comes on. On a 4-stroke torque is usually in the bottom end. On a banshee, they make peak torque when it hits it's sweet spot. That's what that sudden pull is.

Banshee's can't hit 50hp without porting huh?

Mobile Dyno on another forum just drives around tuning and dyno'ing quads all the time. He tuned in a 2006 banshee for someone.

FMF sst pipes

air box lid on w/k&n air filter, removed snorkel

v force 3 reeds

boost bottle

dyno slicks

Jetting ended out at:

240 mains

Needles in the 5th from top

2.5 turns out on the mixture screws

06_bansheewithsstpipes_rpm.jpg

This is pointless. I feel like im arguing with a wall.

All I'm going to say, is that if the banshee can get traction somewhere, and the riders are equal, a bolt-on banshee will beat a piped DS650. All there is to it. As you said, the DS is 490lbs dry! Wet weight is well over 500. A Banshee with aftermarket pipes is around 376 dry (Yes look it up. Most aftermarket pipes are about a 10-15lb weight savings over the stock steel snakes) Plus I have a J-arm banshee which is even lighter.. Not sure by how much.

Plus a bolt on shee is right up there with horsepower compared to the DS. Both around the 45 range.

And to the torque guy, by different torque, I mean the way it comes on. On a 4-stroke torque is usually in the bottom end. On a banshee, they make peak torque when it hits it's sweet spot. That's what that sudden pull is.

Mobile Dyno on another forum just drives around tuning and dyno'ing quads all the time. He tuned in a 2006 banshee for someone.

FMF sst pipes

v force 3 reeds

boost bottle

dyno slicks

Jetting ended out at:

240 mains

your right...also why not instead of arguing we just wait until after the race and see who won which it will be the banshee

your right...also why not instead of arguing we just wait until after the race and see who won which it will be the banshee

FMF pipes.

V Force Reeds, airbox with the lid still on and a boost bottle.

And you believe that 50 HP run is legit?

That is a very, very, very optimistic dyno. And since it's a traveling one...it probably needs to be to make his money.

I can promise you this. Take that same "claimed" 50HP banshee against a box stock 450 with a pipe, a true 42ish HP bike, and it'll get smoked.

A stock banshee is 35ish on HP. You're not getting 15 more HP out of fmf pipes, a K&N filter, VForce reeds and a boost bottle.

Not happening, not in the physical universe we occupy.

Try this, try a bone stock, I mean bone stock banshee to this same dyno. I bet it reads 40 to 43 HP. Which is wrong....period.

FMF sst pipes

v force 3 reeds

boost bottle

dyno slicks

Jetting ended out at:

240 mains

The torque guy is sandman81, get it right. BITCH. Hahahaha.

Joking aside. Are you serious, your using Dynojet number as a source of reference, let me give you some advise when it comes to having a debate. Use a source that is reliable and credible and you should always research your source.

Dynojets are the most controversial dyno on the market. They are known for giving high hp numbers. Reason is they give you hp numbers based on how fast they spin the weight of the rollers. So if you spin them in 4th then in 6th you'll get a variable of hp numbers.

Others dyno measure hp numbers by the amount of force the tires apply on the rollers. So no matter what gear your in the hp numbers don't change much.

The reason I mentioned torque, was because you guys where saying how heavy the ds is. So the higher torque numbers will compensate for the weight. Torque is what moves weight.

Look, you are simply a desktop racer. You made a comments about the ds650 "Never raced against one, but you don't need to race one to feel how fast it is." So your argument holds no weight here.

Undeniable...:)

All I ride is 300 feet. I'm 250. I turn consistent 4.2s.

Two of my buddies are very good riders.

One is 200ish, 4.0s and the occasional 4.1, the other is 165ish...3.9s and a 4.0.

I put guys on my bike 125 to 175 lbs...they easily turn 2-3 tenths faster than me....over and over.

And that's without the bike even setup for them (gearing, tire pressure, less fuel) etc.

That shits funny. Same story for me, but i weight 225. When I have to prove something, a buddy of mine will take over little fucker only weights a buck 30. Damn thing moves like a rocket.

Luckily for me...we only bracket and index race here. Weight is not a factor.

Heads up...I wouldn't even waste the money for entrance fees.

I've loaned my bike out to so many buddies I think if I ever name the bike, it'll be Town Whore....everyone's had a ride...LOL.

I love riding my bike, don't get me wrong. But I'm one of the bigger guys in our family that rides the track.

Just for ET alone, I like to try and compare apples to apples... and I can't do that riding my bike against a lot of these guys.

None of us are in this to make money...that's just a side benefit if and when it comes. I'm in it for the fun and camaraderie...

My boys and I do the same thing, just for shits and giggles. but sometime we have to prove something. Lol no waht I mean.

We built a track out in the edge of town in a river bed, it's pretty cool only thing that sucks is we have to maintain it.

A buddy of mine is in the 300 pound area but doesn't stop him from letting shit ripe. Here is my youtube video, check it out.