KILLPECKER DUNES

TORQUEDFORD

Some friends and I are going to make a run up to Killpecker on Aug 28th from SLC and check it out. Is there any water,toilets etc or is it totally primative camping? Do you have to pay anything? From what I have heard the road in there is rough. Where are the neat bowls or hills we need to go find? Thanks

The road in CAN be pretty nasty. It all depends on what time of year it is and how often they grade it and how much moisture they have had recently. I'll be going this weekend. I will let you know how the roads are when I get back.

There is no running water at the parking area. The parking area is just a big dirt lot. They have 2 sets of bathrooms at the main lot, but that's about it. Bring some sort of shade with you, as there are no trees or shade of any sort at the dunes.

You don't have to pay for anything. Just make sure you have a current ORV sticker from your state. (I've NEVER had a ranger check stickers or anything out there in the last 7 or 8 years.) The sign says you have to have a flag, but no one runs flags out there. Again, I've never had a ranger say anything about it. They just come drive around the parking lot and check on things like once a day on the weekends. If you aren't being an idiot they won't care.

If I can make it out the weekend you are talking about I will show you around. If not, send "bonbon" a PM on here and ask if he can show you around. He's a local and a heck of a nice guy.

- Jared

Thanks for the info, we are just going to run up there for one night, come home Sat. afternoon sometime. We'll be in a purple ford dually.

I will be out there this saturday. I drive a blue 1-ton ford and have a black banshee.

Oh yeah, the road is in pretty normal shape. Nothing horrible. Just a 23mi long dirt road...

Well we made it out there, we put 78 miles on the bikes, My buddy rides a KTM dirt bike and it has some kind of trip meter thing on the bars. We ended up leaving at 12:00 or so on Sat after his bike crapped out, way in the hell out there to the west towards the edge of the dunes. Friday we were the only ones out there till Sat. morning. Kind of funny we rode all the way due North as far as you can go on sand Fri evening and on our way back it got dark on us, we were the only ones there so there was no lights, campfires, or anything so it was a bit dicey getting back to the truck.