hillclimbing

AKheathen

hey, i'm trying to get some better handling on hill climbs of all kinds. a couple people said stock pretty much, but fail. i need to go over some1ft or bigger rocks sometimes, and step-ups. i've got ideas about arms i'm gonna build, and maybey bring the front wheels back a little and rake more? rear- higher/lower? +2? i have a mid/low setup with more than enough power, kenda bear klaws 22/12/9 @1psi, 14/40. I can climb 45 degree slope in 3rd, if i can handle the terrain, but, like i said, handling is an issue. any tips and experience will be helpfull. no sence having power if you can't controll it. :thanks:

• 3 weeks later...

ok, guys, thanx for the replies. i'd pm loco, but i can't see bothering him right now. he sounds like he's pretty buisy. her's the jist- i've decided to go nuts on fabing the whole front end. when i'm done, there will be alot more travel, +2 width, x-arm setup with more rake, 2-3" more clearance on the nose, and 3 settings for either bringing the wheels foreward, back, and stock placement. still haven't decided on the right swinger length, or what i want in cast, camber, rake, etc. but i'd like to experiment with moving the fronts back for the uphill handling on the really rough stuff, rather than settling on too much rake. i gotta go sleep now, but i'll keep you posted on my progress, and still open to more suggestions/tips.

not to steal the thread or nothing but what is rake,whats it do,what are its advantages and dis advantages?

it is the angle of the upper and lower ball joints in relation to each other simply put. It changes the way the steering reacts to bumps.

Edited by slopoke

Hey Heath, where have you been riding... Sounds like fun! but you know Im going to have to check that front end out when you get it finished man.

well, i've been riddin mostly jim creek/knick and sutton, but i did go down to ninilchick once. how 'bout you. know of any nasty climbs in the sout central? the sutton coal mine is the best i've found so far, but always looking.

it is the angle of the upper and lower ball joints in relation to each other simply put. It changes the way the steering reacts to bumps.

actually, that's caster and camber. caster would be the angle looking from the side, and camber is the angle looking from the front. the frame rake is the angle of which the arm pivots. the more you raise the front of the arm, the easier the wheel will move back and up when it hits a bump, and "walk" over it, rather than bounce off of it. however, the angle also effects handling and steering/stability.