Clutch assembly....need help

Hi guys. I need some help with my clutch assembly. I was out riding the other day and my push lever assembly got stuck in the engaged position. The weird thing is that my clutch is not engaged. I am trying to pull the push lever assembly out to see what the problem is but its stuck and won't come out. Should the assembly just pull out easily? I also pulled the clutch off and noticed that the push rod that attaches to the push lever asembly seemed loose. Would this have anything to do with the problem? I tighted the nut on the end of the push rod and it did not seem to help. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this problem?

Thanks , Adam

Sounds like you welded the ball to the push rod. You have 4 parts to it. Clutch arm (sticks out the top of the case), rod (inside the shaft), ball (between the rod and adjuster), and adjuster (Looks like a weird washer with a nut on it that sticks out the pressure plate )

I think you

Here is something I posted helping anohter HQ'er.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=nickisgod

You can take off the clutch cover, and then pressure plate and check it. In the middle of your clutch basket behind the plate, you will see the adjuster. The rod and ball set behind this. Here is where you will need to troubleshoot.

1, Make sure the bolt just did not back off.

2, Pull it out, and then use a magnet to pull the ball and rod out.

3, It can weld 3 ways. The ball and rod comes out welded to the adjuster (the lucky way). The ball comes out, but the rod wont (b/c it is mushroomed on the other end). Or you can not get shit to come out (the ball is stuck to the rod, and the rod is stuck inside).

Lets hope that they all come out. Easy fixed, just replace it all and add a pancake bearing. If not, you have to flip the motor, split the case, lift the other end of the clutch shaft up (I dont know the tech name of this shaft), pull the mushroomed rod out the other end.

PICS...

What you hope to find, all welded together and pulls out. (pics of the one I fixed)

rodandshaft003.jpg

What you don't want to find, (pics from LS1Inferno).

S5001537.jpg

S5001536.jpg

Links....

Good post to read

Took everything apart and it looks like the rod is welded to the ball. The adjuster just slid right out. The rod looks to be mushroomed in and won't come out. I can see the mushroomed end and it spins freely with a magnet so I am going to try and smooth out the mushroom with a small snake dremel and pull the rod right out. Hopefully it works and I can save a few hundred dollars by not splitting the case. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP!!!!!! I am new to the HQ so it is nice to see you guys helping others out. I'll post some pics when I see how it turns out.

Took everything apart and it looks like the rod is welded to the ball. The adjuster just slid right out. The rod looks to be mushroomed in and won't come out. I can see the mushroomed end and it spins freely with a magnet so I am going to try and smooth out the mushroom with a small snake dremel and pull the rod right out. Hopefully it works and I can save a few hundred dollars by not splitting the case. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP!!!!!! I am new to the HQ so it is nice to see you guys helping others out. I'll post some pics when I see how it turns out.

I think that is a kick ass idea. Go thru the top of the case into the clutch arm hole. You can go to FAST and get all the replacement parts. It ia all cheap. Add a pancake bearing, it will never happen again.

Welcome to HQ

• 3 weeks later...

I know its quite a bit later but i wanted everone to know I got the problem fixed. I WAS able to grind down the mushroomed end of the push rod in about 3 minutes and the whole thing slid right out with a magnet. I noticed a lot of people tell others to split the cases when this happens but when your a cheap Polish kid this seems to work just fine and will save you a TON of money. I added the pancake bearing from Vito's (only $34.99 cheapest I found) and it works like a charm. Thanks again for the help guys.