fuel line/ carb questions

I had my last motor throw a rod and I think it was due to a air leak in the boots, they were stock and did not fit tight, I could see that the right cylinder, the side that broke the rod, was not getting fuel or just running lean. But I read on here about making your fuel lines level where they split. How important is this? DO both lines need to be the same length as well? Would a pingnel (hope I said that right) valve be a good idea on a stock motor or would it be a waste? Oh and for reference, the carbs are a new set of 28mm Mikuni flat slide carbs, which I hope are correct, I dont think they were meant for a banshee, they have independent chokes unlike the stock banshee carbs, but the guy I got them from said they would be fine.

I've heard the fuel lines don't have to be level...but I'm no carb expert. Someone will chime in!

Fuel lines do not have to be level. You just want to eliminate high areas that trap air.

A Pingel valve is a waste on OEM carbs assuming your OEM petcock (funny word) is in good condition.