Vito's 404 bb problems

You said this is a stock stroke/rod length crank with stock stroke pistons right? Sounds like you have some huge deck height numbers. Measure the deck height right now with the head off and then pull that fucker apart and measure the thickness of your base gasket and also measure the step in the dome are of that head.If the edge of the crown is hitting the head than either that head was shaved down pretty good and that head gasket is a .021 or that base gasket you have is like a .012 or something.Either way if you measure the deck height and all the rest and do some math than you can get the ballpark of what thickness base gasket and or head gasket you need to get the proper squish clearance you need

My bad i assumed that the compression check was done with another head gasket on.So yes your compression numbers would be real low in that case with no head gasket.And also after just thinking while typing this,You heard the piston slap the head when you checked the compression with no head gasket on? Because that right there could be the cause of your piston hitting the head...they do make different thickness head gaskets also. Sorry if it is a stupid question but i'm just trying to clear things up a bit

LOL this engine must be a little messed then cause the edge of the pistons do come right to the edge and maybe even a bit over........this builder must not have know what he was doing. i think im gonna start from the base up.

the reason i cant do a squish test with the head gskt is it is a 66mm on and the bore is 68 so the gasket sticks into the bore.

was the base or deck of your cylinders cut at all? what do you get for a measurement from the cylinder deck to the cylinder base and what do you get for a dimension from the cylinder deck to the exhaust port roof and port floor?