Got my first shee about a hour ago

I just traded a guy my wrecked gixxer 1000 for a 2003 banshee. The guy didn't know much about 2 smokin' but the bike was kept in good shape. The mods he told me and I seen were a cool head, fmf fatty's w/ powercore 2, white bros boost bottle, hot rods factory stroke crank, .030 vito's pistons (guess he burnt her up before) and some various other odd and ends. I've been wanting one of these since my bro had one when i was in 5th grade lol. Its going to be a slow project bike for me. As of now I'm going to ride it around until the motor goes south and then the fun begins lol. I'm planning to make a decent drag bike out of it. I don't care to run with the big dogs but I want a pretty quick bike. Any suggestions on cylinders? I'm still split b/w porting the stockers or getting some cubs ported. If the crank is in bad shape I'll probably stroke it too. I just want a solid powerplant that I can get a decent amount of hours out of before having to rebuild. Like I said its going to be a slow project for me to learn about the engines on these things and to keep me out of trouble. Oh and I have a bunch of friends on 450's that I have to humble also lol. I have one too but I wanted to build a 2 stroke, I love them and cannot for the life of me see building any other bike for dragging except the banshee. I hope I can contribute something to the community around here as I know I will receive loads of helpful information.

My first question is what would be a good gearing combo to go with for racing in heavy coarse sand? I have 21x12x8 8 paddle haulers on 8x8 wheels. The factory sprockets are still on the bike and are eaten up pretty bad. Thanks in advance guys!!

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

looks like a good bike man.. ive used a few different gear setting the best i have came across is a 14 tooth fron t and 40 tooth back.. ive used 13,14, and 15 in the front and a 40 and 42 in the back... but then again i have a 421 lol.. i started out like you... bought a bike.. and ride it til it broke down.. then went wild :P

I appreciate it guys!! I already have problems with it. It was running fine all day today and I did a 180 on a dirt road to go back the other way and I made it about 10 ft and it started sputtering and died. I started it back up and it wouldn't rev over quarter throttle, but both sides were firing and it would idle just fine. Any suggestions?

I appreciate it guys!! I already have problems with it. It was running fine all day today and I did a 180 on a dirt road to go back the other way and I made it about 10 ft and it started sputtering and died. I started it back up and it wouldn't rev over quarter throttle, but both sides were firing and it would idle just fine. Any suggestions?

welcome to BHQ!

is their visible smoke coming out of both exausts when its running? if not check your plug caps, if one of them by chance popped off it will only fire on one cylinder and as soon as you give it any sort of throttle it'll wanna die on ya. and you may wanna go thru the carbs and give them a good cleaning.

Thanks man, I found my problem. The flywheel nut was 2 threads from coming off and the magnets were not even coming close to the pickup coil...simple stuff every single time... chewed up the flywheel key,hopefully yam shop will have one tomorrow.