What does it act like with TOO MUCH timing ?

Still trying to sort my winter build out .. begining to wonder if I ever will ...

Anyhow I used to be at ~ +4 via a hogged out stock timing plate ...

I bought a chariot plate and went to just barley under +5 (4.9)

Anyhow on the top end / WOT it just acts like it is cutting out (rapidly) like it is against a rev limiter or something ...

I am still playing with the jetting .. last plug chop was at 320's and it seemed lean so 340's today (no lug chop yet) BUT it seemed to not make a difference ...

ANY help appreciated !

THANKS ~DaVe

What is your pickup gap set to? Should be .018"-.020". Those mains are way too big. I've never used the chariot plates, but if the tick marks are accurate +5 would hardly be enough to affect your top end performance enough to be that noticeable. If you suspect that as the cause you could back it off and see if it makes a difference. I would suspect an issue with the ignition system. Try adjusting the pickup gap and if that's not it check the coil, stator and CDI. Easiest way to test your ignition components is to swap out with known good parts if someone you know has a banshee.

I also just went through the winter build nightmare with the ignition system. Found burnt wires, and a bunch of other issues. But my main issue was the pick-up was set too far from the flywheel. Set it to .020 and now she came to life. I would also say to check your pick-up.

I guess I should have mentioned that the pick up was set at .019 with a proper feeler gauge ...

The last time the bike "RAN" / was fast it ad 290's in it ... The was before the porting, rebuild, crank, timing plate, etc. ...

Everyone says that the 3**'s are too rich, so the 290's are going back in ... If it's lean I guess I'll post pics of the piston carnage.

~DaVe

I guess I should have mentioned that the pick up was set at .019 with a proper feeler gauge ...

The last time the bike "RAN" / was fast it ad 290's in it ... The was before the porting, rebuild, crank, timing plate, etc. ...

Everyone says that the 3**'s are too rich, so the 290's are going back in ... If it's lean I guess I'll post pics of the piston carnage.

~DaVe

I'm not sure who everyone is, but i wouldn't listen to them anymore. Yes 340 or up may be too rich but if you're ported I would say around a 320 or 330 would work good depending on porting/pipes/elevation and all.

He's at @ 5000' here in Utah or in St Anthony, ID. 340's would be way to big for any porting matched to those pipes at our elevation. We typcically don't see over 340's on any setup with stock carbs even when it gets colder.

Dave,

I would like to know your exact setup to help you out better. What fuel is it set up for? What domes are you running? What is your spark plug gap and what plugs are you running? If you are setup with high compression and on race fuel you may have to decrease your plug gap to around .020-.025". Who did the portwork and what was the porting type supposed to be? What are your intake tract mods (filters, reeds, spacers)?

-Brandon

Dave all you need to do is call and discuss this with me and i will gladly help you figure it out. ONe time you say the bottom end is cutting out, then its cutting out on top. etcc.. Did you try some new spark plug caps? Did you ever get pics of your full throttle plug chops? I promise you that bike will run and run hard if you listen to me! Give a call, you have both my #s.

Dave all you need to do is call and discuss this with me and i will gladly help you figure it out. ONe time you say the bottom end is cutting out, then its cutting out on top. etcc.. Did you try some new spark plug caps? Did you ever get pics of your full throttle plug chops? I promise you that bike will run and run hard if you listen to me! Give a call, you have both my #s.

It's fine we're cool, I paid you for a service, and got parts from you ... Now I just got to figure out how to make them work together or try something completely different ... I think the 19 cc domes may be a bit small but who knows ...

I changed the Jets back to 300 and the cutting out seemed to stay the same ...

So I set the timing plate at 0 to +1 ish and it might have made the cutting out a little less severe ...

So I'm going to go find some 100+ octane gas and try that next ...

~DaVe

Well I got some 111 octane in it and it made the mid range (needle area) much better, but the top end still sucked .. so now I'm going to throw the 340's back in and see if that makes it lay down on the top and not cut out ... UGH !

~DaVe

Drop spark plug gap to .020. :thumbsup:

Too much timing will act very good on the bottom and fall off on the top instead of rev out. That is generally when you run into denotation and kill the top end too. I recommend you pull back on the timing until you get your fuel/spark/jetting issues resolved, then put more timing back in. Your 19cc domes should be just fine with race fuel. With good porting and pipes, you could need a 330-370 main jet or even bigger.

B

Edited by blowit

Drop spark plug gap to .020. :thumbsup:

Too much timing will act very good on the bottom and fall off on the top instead of rev out. That is generally when you run into denotation and kill the top end too. I recommend you pull back on the timing until you get your fuel/spark/jetting issues resolved, then put more timing back in. Your 19cc domes should be just fine with race fuel. With good porting and pipes, you could need a 330-370 main jet or even bigger.

B

THANKS for the reply going to go try a new set of plugs set at .020 :)

So .020 plugs / 0-1+ timing / 330 main / 111 octane ...

WISH ME LUCK !

~DaVe

Dave, at our elevation those 19cc domes won't yeild enough compression to require 111 octane. I run 19's and have even run 18's on my pump gas duner, the 18's were pushing it a bit. It is a stock stroke right? If it's a 4mill then the 19's would need at least 100 octane.

I'm not sure who everyone is, but i wouldn't listen to them anymore. Yes 340 or up may be too rich but if you're ported I would say around a 320 or 330 would work good depending on porting/pipes/elevation and all.

The biggest hot rod I ever put together on OEM carbs needed 360's at sea level.......... With that said a 320 main is still a possibility.

My '06 with all the go fast stuff without porting needed 290 mains at sea level if that helps put things into perspective.

Dave, at our elevation those 19cc domes won't yeild enough compression to require 111 octane. I run 19's and have even run 18's on my pump gas duner, the 18's were pushing it a bit. It is a stock stroke right? If it's a 4mill then the 19's would need at least 100 octane.

Well the 111 was pretty much just a test see if it was detonation problem ... and since it still cut out .. I went ahead and filled the tank back up with 91 octane so pretty much 50% 111/91 .... (both mixed at 40:1 KLOTZ)

Check the stator connector ohms readings and got the desired 19/119 / cleaned the connectors on the coil / and the spark plug caps ...

Put the timing back at +5 / 330 mains (still) / plug gap .020 / and the "mixed" fuel

and so far it ran better than it has yet !!! I might be getting somewhere !!!

So tomorrow 320's and some more street runs before the neighbors call the cops ;)

~DaVe