What does it act like with TOO MUCH timing ?

Well the 111 was pretty much just a test see if it was detonation problem ... and since it still cut out .. I went ahead and filled the tank back up with 91 octane so pretty much 50% 111/91 .... (both mixed at 40:1 KLOTZ)

Check the stator connector ohms readings and got the desired 19/119 / cleaned the connectors on the coil / and the spark plug caps ...

Put the timing back at +5 / 330 mains (still) / plug gap .020 / and the "mixed" fuel

and so far it ran better than it has yet !!! I might be getting somewhere !!!

So tomorrow 320's and some more street runs before the neighbors call the cops ;)

~DaVe

It might be cheaper/easier, to check with a builder for tuning. I know if you were closer, Jeff would get you going in minutes. Sometimes it just takes an experienced ear to take a listen.

B

No way a gas bike at 5000 feet needs that big of a main.

IF the bike has been tested for leaks/seal...you have an electrical problem. Check your grounds, wiring harness, kill switch.

I'd bet...even though your stator checked out, it's bad.

And/or you need to replace the plug end caps. Not clean them...replace them.

Did you leak down test that motor before you fired it?

Did you check squish, etc?

From your response to FAST Jeff, you just bought parts and assembled it yourself.

Leak down test it. With an air leak, you can replace every ignition component as well as try every jet from a 200 to a 400 and it won't make a difference.

There are some simple tests to do on a motor before you ever fire it.

1. Leak down/vaccum test it. tests all gaskets and seals internally.

2. Squish test it to make sure the piston to head clearance is ok.

3. Compression test. Cold. With a good gauge that has threads on the tester as long as the spark plug itself.

IMO...and I've built/troubleshot plenty of motors myself, without checking these three things first, you're wasting time with ignition and jetting....and I say that because I was the one wasting my time...learning the hard way.

No way a gas bike at 5000 feet needs that big of a main.

IF the bike has been tested for leaks/seal...you have an electrical problem. Check your grounds, wiring harness, kill switch.

I'd bet...even though your stator checked out, it's bad.

And/or you need to replace the plug end caps. Not clean them...replace them.

Did you leak down test that motor before you fired it?

Did you check squish, etc?

From your response to FAST Jeff, you just bought parts and assembled it yourself.

Leak down test it. With an air leak, you can replace every ignition component as well as try every jet from a 200 to a 400 and it won't make a difference.

There are some simple tests to do on a motor before you ever fire it.

1. Leak down/vaccum test it. tests all gaskets and seals internally.

2. Squish test it to make sure the piston to head clearance is ok.

3. Compression test. Cold. With a good gauge that has threads on the tester as long as the spark plug itself.

IMO...and I've built/troubleshot plenty of motors myself, without checking these three things first, you're wasting time with ignition and jetting....and I say that because I was the one wasting my time...learning the hard way.

Thanks for the reply .. BUT I have been through all of the mention items (more than once!)

Leak Down test = good

Compression test = ~156 each cylinder

Squish checked .045

I for sure have an ignition problem ... after cleaning all the connections (stator / coil / plug) the bike ran better than it has since last September '08 ...

I agree with you about replacing the plug caps (Jeff also suggested this) BUT I can't really tell how to do it .. I pull the boots off and the wires ends seemed "plastic molded" do I have to cut the wires or ???

(I have made custom sets of wires for auto applications, so if cutting / stripping the wire is the case I can prob do the same...)

I agree with you about the wasting time .. been to the dunes less thus year than any .. having a bike that never runs / always working on almost makes me want to go 4 poke ;)

310's go in today, to try that ....

Thanks again ! ~DaVe

Well I guess I am more stubborn than a 2 stroke !!! The BANSHEE is finally running !!!

310's / +5 / 111/91 50% (will run on 91/93 I think) / 40:1 Klotz ...

and I dunno how fast yet as I don't have any competition around, BUT I should find out the 24th weekend ;)

I guess more plug chops to see if it will run with 300's in the 90 degree temps ...

FINALLY getting somewhere feels GREAT ! I took the thing apart 09/10/2008 !!! and it just now runs like it did then (before the catastrophic blow up) ;)

~DaVe

my 421 cub wont run on top end at all.......unless i gap my plugs at like .010 .005...i dont know why becuase the stator gap is .18 and timing is at +10 on alky comp is around the 180's.....

it fly's now with the plugs almost touching so i aint really touched it since ...

matt