St. Anthony, ID dunes JETTING ...

Well after my 4th day at the St. A dunes this year the BANSHEE is still running like shit ...

Wondering if anyone has a similar setup what jetting are you using ???

My setup:

K&N pods

Boysen reeds w/ spacers

stock carbs (no money for bigger ones)

Dune/Play ported cylinders

ported cases

NOSS cool head 19cc domes / 156 compression

+4.5 timing on 93 octane mixed 40:1 with Klotz

After this weekends plug chops with 310's and then 320's .. I still am not getting a very distinct tan line at the base of the plugs ... So I guess I'll be ordering some 330's / 340's ...

I was running 290's on the stock bore for 25+ trips to the dunes and it ran AWESOME ... Does going to 330/340 seem like too BIG of a jump rich to anyone else ???

Any help greatly appreciated !!!

~DaVe

Well after my 4th day at the St. A dunes this year the BANSHEE is still running like shit ...

Wondering if anyone has a similar setup what jetting are you using ???

My setup:

K&N pods

Boysen reeds w/ spacers

stock carbs (no money for bigger ones)

Dune/Play ported cylinders

ported cases

NOSS cool head 19cc domes / 156 compression

+4.5 timing on 93 octane mixed 40:1 with Klotz

After this weekends plug chops with 310's and then 320's .. I still am not getting a very distinct tan line at the base of the plugs ... So I guess I'll be ordering some 330's / 340's ...

I was running 290's on the stock bore for 25+ trips to the dunes and it ran AWESOME ... Does going to 330/340 seem like too BIG of a jump rich to anyone else ???

Any help greatly appreciated !!!

~DaVe

Way too big man. I have a similar setup with pretty agressive porting, VF2's, T5's, cool head with 17cc domes (155psi), +4 timing, K&N pods, 100 octane gas 32:1, stock carbs. And I was running perfectly with 270's.

Thanks for the reply !!!!

I'm still at a loss though as I was on 290's for the other 1.5 / 25+ trips to the dunes before the rebuild and it ran VERY good ... now it's not even back up to that level ...

I keep thinkin' air leak but I've pressure tested it and it checks OK ...

Any thought on what I could sell the BANSHEE for ?

~DaVe

well, first off, WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?

what pipes do you have?

330+ is not that far of a stretch with porting. hell, i'm stock ported, boysens, pcp's, 20cc's, billet k&n adapter w/o lid, and 330 is lean @ 70*

you should get an accurate reading with klots and 93, as long as you are doing it long enough (10 sec. wot, ideally)

p.s. 33-34mm carbs are WAY different jetting than 26's

if you are doing the plug chops right, keep going up :thumbsup:

well, first off, WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?

what pipes do you have?

330+ is not that far of a stretch with porting. hell, i'm stock ported, boysens, pcp's, 20cc's, billet k&n adapter w/o lid, and 330 is lean @ 70*

you should get an accurate reading with klots and 93, as long as you are doing it long enough (10 sec. wot, ideally)

p.s. 33-34mm carbs are WAY different jetting than 26's

if you are doing the plug chops right, keep going up :thumbsup:

Symptoms = NO power / getting my ass handed to me by 4 strokes I used to beat stock ... also just runs rough like it is cutting / "muddy" / no throttle response

Pipers are TOOMEY's T5's

I am staying in at WOT for a hell of a long time in 6th for the plug chops ... So maybe I order up some 330's/340's

THANKS a TON !

~DaVe

I seriously doubt that you should be anywhere in the 300+ range on stock carbs at 5000 feet plus it's 75-85 deg. + out too. I rode in St. Ant. last week and ran perfectly with my 270's and I also live at 5300 feet and ride with 270's all the time. As a matter of fact my wife's bike has only a cleanup port but has T5's, pod, coolhead, reeds, and at 32:1 and I have 250's in hers.

When you do you plug checks (if done correctly) and you are not getting that nice cardboard brown ring down at the base of the ceramic then keep changing sizes. If it's just pure white or clean without a ring then definitely go up but if the ceramic is dark or black keep slowly going down until you get it right. You probably won't go much lower than 260 or 270.

I seriously doubt that you should be anywhere in the 300+ range on stock carbs at 5000 feet plus it's 75-85 deg. + out too. I rode in St. Ant. last week and ran perfectly with my 270's and I also live at 5300 feet and ride with 270's all the time. As a matter of fact my wife's bike has only a cleanup port but has T5's, pod, coolhead, reeds, and at 32:1 and I have 250's in hers.

When you do you plug checks (if done correctly) and you are not getting that nice cardboard brown ring down at the base of the ceramic then keep changing sizes. If it's just pure white or clean without a ring then definitely go up but if the ceramic is dark or black keep slowly going down until you get it right. You probably won't go much lower than 260 or 270.

With the 320's I was just starting to see a trace of a ring ... I think I'm going to throw some 340's in it and see if I can get something "significant" on the base of the plugs ...

I have no idea why I'm in the 300+ range ???

THANKS again for your help !!! I really appreciate it as I'm about ready to put a white sheet over it and let it out of the back of the truck at freeway speeds ;)

~DaVe

Edited by BumpaD_Z28