First Shee Need HELP!

i just bought my 03 banshee. it has been running fine but starting to act up. i noticed a little knock first and i think there is blue smoke coming from the head. i pulled the plugs and changed them cause they were fouled but very little change. i also noticed a loss of power it took it some time to get up to speed and hit the power ban. once i ran it a while i didnt notice the smoke or the power loss. i have noticed more blue smoke in the exhaust also. any suggestions? dont know a lot about these things as its my first. im afraid i mixed fuel wrong as this is the only thing i have done different. i mixed one bottle of yamalube 2r in 4 gallons of premium as told by the yamaha dealer.

From the head?? Do you mean from the outlets that the exhaust clamps onto? And the cause for the heavy blue smoke is the premix. I usually run 40:1, I couldnt tell you what premix your bottle of oil and 4 gallons would be, so i wouldnt worry too much about the blue smoke..

Was it a 4oz. bottle or a 16oz bottle? I believe that yamalube only comes in a 16oz bottle which if I not mistaken that would be enough for 8 gallons of gas and that would be the problem, But if it was an 8oz bottle it should of been 32 to 1 mixed with 4 gallons which would be about perfect. To much oil would also explain the fouled plugs and poor performance. I personally mix my gas at 32 to 1 as recomended by yamaha but I have read that some of the guys on here mix up to 40 to 1 which would be a little less oil 40 to 1 is the right ratio for chainsaws weedwackers stuff like that. Do yourself a favor and go buy a ratio-rite cup that way your not guessing they are only about 5 dollars but at least you will know what you got. You dont want to find out that your not running the right ratio by your engine blowing up on you.

Most dealers are dumb asses! Trust the guys here not the dealer half those guys don't ride much less know crap of Banshee's.

You don't have to stick with just Yamalube either, Klotz works great as well, & smells good too!

Congratulations on the new Banshee careful they are addicting! :biggrin:

Edited by MistBanshee

you have to be kidding me! i mixed a 1 pint bottle as told by yamaha dealer and a pint is 16oz. so is that the problem? how bad is that for the shee. what is the actual ratio for a 03 banshee. thanks guys i dont know a lot about this thing yet as its my first.

Dont think it will hurt anything I would drain the gas back into a gas can and if you for sure dumped 16oz into 4 gallons I would add gas to the can for example if you have 2 gallons of gas in the can add 2 more gallons and that should get you about right. As I stated in the post before this one the recommended ratio is 32 to 1. Go get yourself a Ratio- rite cup they are used to measure your 2 stroke oil most dealers have them or they can be ordered, maybe even an autoparts store bass pro shops also has them in the boating department. By the way Castrol 927 also works great and smells good. 8oz of oil should do 4 gallons and 16 oz should do 8 gallons at 32 to 1

i just did the math and 16oz. to 4 gallons is 32:1. if i put 8 oz. in 4 gallons that would be a 64:1. i just need to know the factory recommended mix ratio. i mixed it 32:1.

just want to say Im sorry for the bad math I was thinking pint and quart which would be 16oz or 32oz not 8oz or 16 oz sounds like you mixed correct sorry but the ratio should be 32to1 this is why I use a ratio cup so I dont mess up

im not for sure the exact cause. i know the gas is mixed right but i talked to the person i bought it from and they said it may need to be rejetted. they said it was jetted for winter. could this cause the problem? power loss and excessive smoke? dont worry about the math i do the samething took three of us to figure it out.

1. Check your air filters. Make sure they are clean.

2. I would recommend that you clean the carbs and I do not mean the outside. You may have a clogg. Note that if you shee was running fine before you should not need rejetting unless there is a significant change in temp.

Also make sure one of the idle screws did not fall off of one of the carbs. Happened to me once.

3. Make sure your carbs are synced.

4. I would make sure that your gas mixure is correct. Drain the tank and add more fuel. You may loose a few bucks but you will be able to rule this out.

5. Make sure your gas hoses do not have an air leak or got bent.

By the way make sure you also buy a good tool box. Shees are fun and fast but they require constant maintenance unlike 4 strokes.

And yes guys I have a 4 mil with a cub that I race with VP 109.

Most dealers are dumb asses! Trust the guys here not the dealer half those guys don't ride much less know crap of Banshee's.

You don't have to stick with just Yamalube either, Klotz works great as well, & smells good too!

Congratulations on the new Banshee careful they are addicting! :biggrin:

let the modifications begin, welcome to our world. :thumbsup: