Reeds

You can check them by holding them up to a light and see if they are worn. If you see light through the end of the pedal then like previously stated flip it over. Make sure the screws are tight so your motor dont ingest them through the intake ports!!!!!!!

Thanks alot, I wasn't sure if they could be fliped over or not so thanks for clearing that up. If there was a little gap would that cause one cyl to run crappy at idle? I took the carb off and was pushing on the kick starter and i could see bubbles at the tips of the two bottom reeds on my left cyl. I took the block out and there is a very tinny gap on the two bottom pedles at the corners.

You can check them by holding them up to a light and see if they are worn. If you see light through the end of the pedal then like previously stated flip it over.

Not true. I have a brand new, in the box, set of VF3's that you can see through. A little bit of gap is fine. They close all the way when the motor is running.

Not true. I have a brand new, in the box, set of VF3's that you can see through. A little bit of gap is fine. They close all the way when the motor is running.

I can see light threw the sides of the pedal to as well as the tips. Is it like that on new ones as well?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.. as long as the gap isn't excessive. My VF3's were the same way. if you have a lil gap.. flip them over and get it as close as possible.. but it dont mean the reed is junk. Fraying, cracking or chipping is a no brainer... thats junk.

I could see light through the reeds themselves on my new VF3's Its no big deal.. (unless its frayed, cracked or dhipped)

Bump, I have the same issue and trying to find out.

Seeing light is one thing............... What you need to look for is if the light is just coming through the clear epoxy used to make the reads or if there is actually an air gap that is letting the light through. :geek: