Kermit Dunes

pecanfmr

Is anyone familiar with the sandhills near Kermit, TX? I need some input on the basics like camping or motels, regulations, riding/parking areas. This will be my first trek to the dunes and Ill be going with a friend with a 660. Any other general duning advice would be appreciated since this is our first trip. We will be driving there on a friday, riding for a day and driving back Sunday morning. Its about a 5 hr drive but we can only spend one day cause of work. Thanks.

Is anyone familiar with the sandhills near Kermit, TX? I need some input on the basics like camping or motels, regulations, riding/parking areas. This will be my first trek to the dunes and Ill be going with a friend with a 660. Any other general duning advice would be appreciated since this is our first trip. We will be driving there on a friday, riding for a day and driving back Sunday morning. Its about a 5 hr drive but we can only spend one day cause of work. Thanks.

Have you been to the Kermit Sandhills website? There is camping there, or 2 hotels, I suggest the Kermit Inn if you are going to hotel it. Or you can just go with us to LS next week. The only bad thing about kermit is if you break a part and dont have any spares you are screwed!!!

Yea I checked out the website but I always like to hear from someone whos actually been there. I thought about going to LS, I know its alot more popular but the only thing holding me back was the extra 3+ hr drive. It would be fun to have someone else to go with that had been before. Is LS that much better? Im open to suggestions, I might see if my friend can stay for the whole weekend, He's supposed to work Sunday afternoon.

Yea I checked out the website but I always like to hear from someone whos actually been there. I thought about going to LS, I know its alot more popular but the only thing holding me back was the extra 3+ hr drive. It would be fun to have someone else to go with that had been before. Is LS that much better? Im open to suggestions, I might see if my friend can stay for the whole weekend, He's supposed to work Sunday afternoon.

Both places have its pros and cons. I have not been to kermit in about 3 years. The last day i was there was when the county came out and tore down the pavillions. I have not been to the campground the new owners built.

The sand at Kermit is finer than LS. The dunes are larger at LS. The bowels are larger at Kermit. You can go to the back section and ride all day without seeing anyone else. If you do go take a compass, I think the place is 25sq miles + and if you dont know the land marks you will get lost.

I hope this answers a few of your questions. Both places are great to ride, but they are both 5 1/2 hours from me. If you break down at Kermit and dont have extra parts you will be coming home sooner than you think.

Thanks for your help. According to what Ive read they have been doing some renovation at Kermit to try to make it more user friendly as far as camping and stuff like that goes.

When are yall headed up to LS? We might be able to meet you up there if my bro-in-law can swing it with work. Ill try to find out today and let you know.

-RM

Thanks for your help. According to what Ive read they have been doing some renovation at Kermit to try to make it more user friendly as far as camping and stuff like that goes.

When are yall headed up to LS? We might be able to meet you up there if my bro-in-law can swing it with work. Ill try to find out today and let you know.

-RM

We are going to be there 11th-14th. Look in the same dune section & you will see a roll call.