Port timing

I was curious as to how degrees of transfer / exhaust port timing related to mm of material removed from the port roof..

I was told to take about 1.5 mm of material off the roof of my exhaust to add some top end; and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what that would put my timing at with a stock crank.

Also how much more agressive could I go for a non drag port and how much can I go before I need to move the transfers.

Thanks, Marcus

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure its kind of like the degrees of duration of a cam in a four stroke. THe more material you take out of the top the more degrees of duration you have which is a way to measure how long the exhaust port is open.

I was curious as to how degrees of transfer / exhaust port timing related to mm of material removed from the port roof..

I was told to take about 1.5 mm of material off the roof of my exhaust to add some top end; and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what that would put my timing at with a stock crank.

Also how much more agressive could I go for a non drag port and how much can I go before I need to move the transfers.

Thanks, Marcus

I don't remember the stock port timing or distance from the deck that the ports open, so I can't help ya. If you knew the distance from the deck to where you want the roof of the port to be, I could tell you the duration.

I don't remember the stock port timing or distance from the deck that the ports open, so I can't help ya. If you knew the distance from the deck to where you want the roof of the port to be, I could tell you the duration.

I'll have to check on that and get back with you

i have a program at home on my computer. when i get home from work, i can tell you. stock i if remember, is right around 180*-183*. raising 1.5mm should put you around 186* duration, if i recall.

what brand of base gaskets are you using.....OEM, Moose, Wiseco, Cometic?

Edited by mopar1rules

i have a program at home on my computer. when i get home from work, i can tell you. stock i if remember, is right around 180*-183*. raising 1.5mm should put you around 186* duration, if i recall.

what brand of base gaskets are you using.....OEM, Moose, Wiseco, Cometic?

OEM base gaskets...

I just had a thought. If 180 deg. = 54mm, then 90=27, 45=13.5, 22.5=6.75,11.25=3.3725, 5.625=1.6375

So....raising 1.5mm should be roughly 5.5 degrees..? I may be totally wrong tho. I'm sure at the top and bottom of the stroke there may be less lateral movement as compared to rotation, but does that mean in the middle of the stroke there is more... :confused:

Can I go any higher w/o totally screwing up my powerband?

Edited by SLORYDER

I could be wrong, but I dont think stock is 183, because I have an agressive trail port with exhaust raised 1mm. and its at like 183.somoething now, 1.5mm. would give you a little better top, but I think a little more would give you more top end. But you have to take into account your transfers too.

I could be wrong, but I dont think stock is 183, because I have an agressive trail port with exhaust raised 1mm. and its at like 183.somoething now, 1.5mm. would give you a little better top, but I think a little more would give you more top end. But you have to take into account your transfers too.

Stock is 176-178* open on exhaust.

Brandon

OEM base gaskets...

I just had a thought. If 180 deg. = 54mm, then 90=27, 45=13.5, 22.5=6.75,11.25=3.3725, 5.625=1.6375

So....raising 1.5mm should be roughly 5.5 degrees..? I may be totally wrong tho. I'm sure at the top and bottom of the stroke there may be less lateral movement as compared to rotation, but does that mean in the middle of the stroke there is more... :confused:

Can I go any higher w/o totally screwing up my powerband?

It's not nearly that simple, I can assure you.

Here's a program I wrote that can calculate durations given all of the needed parameters, and a whole bunch of other stuff. As a footnote, I refer to negative deck height as pistons rising above the top of the deck.

First you have to download and install this:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/...VRunTimeEng.exe

Then download this, unzip it, and copy the contents anywhere on your pc.

http://www.redline-racing.net/PortMapper/PortMapper.zip

It's not a linear equation because crank dwell has a major effect on the relationship of port timing to a linear measurement. This is because as the piston approaches BDC or TDC the pistons speed decreases even though the crankshafts speed stays the same. That being said the more you raise the exhaust port roof towards top dead center you will gain more port open time per amount of linear material removed. Also, connecting rod length affects crank angle and therefore will affect your port open time. Base gasket thickness, decking the bottom of the cylinders and piston selection will also have an effect on port timing.

Here's a program I wrote that can calculate durations given all of the needed parameters, and a whole bunch of other stuff. As a footnote, I refer to negative deck height as pistons rising above the top of the deck.

having troubles with the link

HOLY SHIT you're still alive...