Another not running ?

Rode the other day and it was fine. drove 10 miles down the road and it would not start. ohmed the stator and it was fine 119.8 and 19.8. it has spark at the plugs. the pickup coil is good on the gap. i can pull it and it will not start at a slow speed the faster i pull it the bike will fire and stay running until i pull in the clutch and it dies. i have changed the ignition coil and the cdi and it does the same thing. also completly clean the carbs and they are fine. My ? is the flywheel does not feel like it has a magnetic suction. i cn stick anything to it and nothing happens. Could my flywheel have all of a sudden lost its magnitism? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. The flywheel is BRAND NEW for say, it has about 7hrs on it.

Man thats the wierdest one I have heard in a while to troubleshoot.

Does it still have the TORS on it?

Whats wierd is that it dies when you pull the clutch in on it.

When you do get it running at an idle, are you able to rev it up while its in neutral?

Just wondering?

Also; How does it run without pulling in the clutch? :huh:

Also; Have you checked the wiring harness for evidence of a wire rubbing through to ground to the frame or something?

Edited by R. Rollins

Pull your flywheel and make sure the woodriff key is not mangeld..If its dammaged you can still get spark but not run worth a crap..Also,did you do a compression test or check the spark plugs...Check the on and off switch also,make sure its clean..Check your grounds also..Make sure no wires rubbed through on the stator wire coming out against the flywheel..Good luck,JB

Man thats the wierdest one I have heard in a while to troubleshoot.

Does it still have the TORS on it?

Whats wierd is that it dies when you pull the clutch in on it.

When you do get it running at an idle, are you able to rev it up while its in neutral?

Just wondering?

Also; How does it run without pulling in the clutch? :huh:

Also; Have you checked the wiring harness for evidence of a wire rubbing through to ground to the frame or something?

It does not have tors on it at all. it will not run at an idle i have to keep reving it up and it dies when i come to a stop to get the rope off the other bike. even if i keep reving it it will die.

okay i go to pull start slow clutch out after moving, wide open throttle it sounds like a deep roar of air and fuel. like a k&n on a truck. the faster we pull it, it starts to fire and then it fires. pull in the clutch reving the bike up to keep it running and as soon as we slow down it dies. we also pulled it with me just holding the rope and got it started. as soon as i let go and put the bike under a load it dies.

Pull your flywheel and make sure the woodriff key is not mangeld..If its dammaged you can still get spark but not run worth a crap..Also,did you do a compression test or check the spark plugs...Check the on and off switch also,make sure its clean..Check your grounds also..Make sure no wires rubbed through on the stator wire coming out against the flywheel..Good luck,JB

i did all of this with the side cover off and everything looked good as far as the flywheel was spinning like a mug. i have a teather kill switch, and i disconnected that. no on off switch or key. compression is good and the plugs are good. graounds are all good and clean. just had a fresh rebuild on motor back 10hrs of riding ago. everything is cherry as far as connections

do your lights light up good while it's running? buy a stocker, if you can.

I agree...I won't even keep RS stuff as a backup. Buy a stocker off NYUK or Minkia38 or fleabay.

before you put it on, shake it by your ear to make sure the magnets inside aren't busted up.

the nodes on the outside are just steel, not magnets. the magnets inside are pretty weak, so you might not feel them with anything bigger than a paperclip on the outside. a screwdriver should stick to the inside about every inch, evenly. they are placed in there in alternating polarity, to make power. did you ever verify that you are getting good blue spark when you casually kick it over? it's starting to sound like a fuel issue