Runs like crap

First off, I'm glad to see this site is still running strong. I haven't visited here in a while because I never really had any issue's with the shee ,but I need some help now. It sat for over a year with untreated fuel in the tank. It fired up but ran like crap. So I pulled everything apart, carbs, reeds, tank, fuel lines and went thru everything and put it all back together and it still is running like crap. It starts with 2 kicks with the choke on. If I try to take it off choke it will die. If I keep playing with the choke it'll stay running. So that's telling me I'm lacking fuel. Before I rip it all apart again I have a couple questions. I replaced the fuel lines and was wondering how important it is to have the "T" for the fuel lines at the carbs level? Should I be running the factory formed fuel lines on the carbs?? When I pulled the reeds I did not pay much attention to where the reed spacer was prior to taking it apart. I have the spacer on the cyclinder side of the reed. Is that the correct mounting??? Can this be an issue???

Thanks

Terry

clogged jets? Change the plugs? Also pull your lines and see if gas comes out flowing from the petcock..could be a clogged petcock filter..

I disassembled the petcock and cleaned it inside and out. I checked fuel flow and it flows great. Plugs are good, compression appears to be good at 135/140. I thinking I'll need to pull the carbs off again but was wondering about the fuel lines between the carbs at the split as to whether or not that need to be level.

No..they dont need to be level...pull your float bowls and unscrew the main and pilot jets..make sure they are clean...is the tube between the two carbs plugged in?Any cracks in the intake boots?use some carb spray and see if there is a air leak while its running if you can get it to stay running long enough..It will idle up while you spray around the intakes if there is a leak..

No..they dont need to be level...pull your float bowls and unscrew the main and pilot jets..make sure they are clean...is the tube between the two carbs plugged in?Any cracks in the intake boots?use some carb spray and see if there is a air leak while its running if you can get it to stay running long enough..It will idle up while you spray around the intakes if there is a leak..

I'll do the carb cleaner thing and check for a air leak. The choke tube between the carbs is the only line I did not replace. I guess better do that one too just to do it right.

Thanks for the input :beer:

the spacers go on the carb side of the reeds, and check for airleaks when done. there will be quite the difference where your spacers are

I've been trying to do a search on this. Can someone guide me to installation instruction or something. I've read where they go between the carb and the reed and then see them between the cylinder and the reed. Where ever it was on my shee before now, it ran perfect. I wish I would have payed more attention to where it was before I tore it apart. :confused:

I found a picture of my shee and zoomed in on the carbs and found out how the spacer was in there originally and it's as follows: Cylinder-spacer-reedcage-carb mount. I guess it was a lucky guess when I put it back together. But now it's back to the drawing board as to why it runs like crap. I'll tear it back down and go thru the carbs again. Wouldn't be the first time I had to do something all over again. It's in my blood I guess :blush: